This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

As I sit here procrastinating doing my homework that’s due tomorrow, I can’t help but think that I am extremely overwhelmed. Being overwhelmed and trying to do work is probably one of the most difficult tasks to complete. In all honesty, it can completely paralyze a person, their brain, and shut them down. At least that’s what the feeling of being overwhelmed does to me. It can also seem as if you are trying to help everyone but yourself. In the process of procrastinating, I tend to focus on other people, things, etc. It becomes challenging for me to focus on anything. Unfortunately, the territory of being overwhelmed comes with finals approaching so quickly. As I finish up my junior year, I have learned a few little things I can do to ground me again and help me focus.

1. Journaling – This is kind of what I am doing right now. It can be extremely difficult to focus so it helps to get some of the “noise” out of your brain. Writing down your thoughts, feelings, and actions can be extremely beneficial to help get some of the thought clutter out of your brain.
  2. Napping – I know there are those days where your body needs a 7-hour nap in the middle of the day. But if there is about a 20-minute nap period where you can nap, then take it. Personally, it has helped me stay more awake and feel more alert. It helps ground me and focus more in order to work on my assignments and get things done.
  3. Take a few minutes to breathe – I know we all get anxious and stressed so it’s good to take at least 5 minutes just to breathe. Step back and clear your mind. Whether that be physically taking a step back or mentally. College is difficult enough without pressuring yourself to get an assignment done. If it isn’t in on time, I promise it won’t be the end of the world.

I hope this article has helped you somehow. Whether it be the suggestions or the relatability, it’s still good to know that you aren’t alone. You never are truly alone. It might also help to go to counseling, there is absolutely no shame in that. Make sure to prioritize your mental health over anyone else’s.

I am a Senior at DePauw University, and a Kinesiology major. I love swimming and occasionally playing tennis. I have a dog and I am from Franklin, IN.