books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Why Finals Aren’t That Scary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

photo source

Finals are just tests. If you try your best on a test, that’s all anyone can ever ask of you. Will you think about this exact test five years down the road? Probably not. If you put forth your best effort with everything you do, finals won’t be that scary.

Truly ask yourself: Am I doing this homework just to be done with it or am I doing this homework to learn the material? Be honest. You may hate the class and it may even be “the worst thing ever,” but remember that you are here for a reason and you are not forced to be in college. You could leave at any time you want but you choose to stay, so you may as well work hard.

College is a choice. You have the power to either take advantage of it or just barely skate by. If you take advantage of your opportunities in college and throw yourself into everything you do, you may be surprised at how easily things will come to you—including finals.

photo source

As cheesy as it is, DePaul makes a good point of emphasizing reflection during your first year of college. Reflecting on your decisions and actions is something you will have to do your entire life, so you may as well start now. Reflect on what is holding you back and realize that only you have the power to change your study habits. Really dig deep and figure out why you aren’t trying as hard as you could or how you could improve your time management.

Your own effort has to come from within. It may feel hard but with time you will establish good habits. You will have tests your whole life, so you cannot go wrong with figuring out how you learn best and giving 100% every time. Finals are not that scary because you have the power to try harder. I believe in you.

photo source

Anna Wolf

DePaul '21

DePaul 2021