How to Finesse a Professional Wardrobe On a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

For many college students, a professional outfit is a staple for your wardrobe.  We run into many instances where we need to look our best: interviews, conferences, presentations, etc.  However, it can be tough to acquire that high-end office fashion when you’re barely on a Target budget.  Here are three tips on how to look your young professional best–for less!

Thrift!

Obviously, a thrift store is everyone’s favorite place to go when looking for cheap clothes.  While one may not think you can find office appropriate looks at a Goodwill, you’ll be surprised how many basic yet polished pieces are donated!  Finding your simple shirts and slacks at a thrift store is super beneficial so that if you have the leeway to splurge on a blazer or shoes.

Don’t buy everything in one trip.

This was something I needed to hear a few months ago when I tried to buy an entire interview outfit in one day.  You may need to space out your shopping sprees to look for discounted items and sale-days, so plan ahead to ensure you don’t run out of time!  

Take advantage of a career closet

Luckily, at DePaul we have this thing called a career closet.  Basically, you can rent out clothes to wear for interviews and other professional outings.  Check out if your school has one, because it can be a great resource for those one-time instances you may need an outfit–and it’s free!

Good luck out there in the workforce and catch that coin!  

Grace Jacques is a PR & Advertising Major at DePaul University.  When not writing for Her Campus, you can find her fundraising for Ann and Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital, marching in Grant Park, or enjoying The Frenchie at Cheesie's Pub and Grub.