Wellness

Here’s Why You Need to Make Time for Yourself this Quarter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

It’s September and that means it’s beingreallystressedandhavingtoomuchtodo season! There’s nothing like Virgo season. Everyone is back to school and hopefully well adjusted to their schedules, classes, jobs, etc. It may seem like all of our responsibilities are crashing down on us at this time, as it might be quite overwhelming, but I’d like to interject the importance of taking time out of your busy and hectic schedule just for YOU. 

I’ve contemplated the idea of self-care and whether or not it is selfish to just take time out of your day solely to do whatever it is you feel like. Maybe a quick stroll through Target, an hour to go to the gym, a Netflix binge sesh, or a time to just make some cookies and hang with people you love. 

We need balance in our lives. I feel like that is just a given because all those work-a-holics out there need some R and R too (Rest and Relaxation). If you’re anything like me, I continue working on things when I really should be relaxing and playing with my dog.

Prioritize Your Time

Get a planner, highlight the things you need to remember and hard deadlines, utilize sticky notes, plant your schedule in different places, and do whatever you need to do to make sure you are organized and managing your time efficiently. Planners are a great start! Try Google Calendar for ultimate organization.

Disengage in Work When It’s Your Free Time

I am a victim of working overtime just because I can. When you have free-time, and work can be done later, use it! There have been so many times that I missed out on opportunities to have some fun and de-stress just because I could use that time to work and catch up. You need to log out, minimize your tabs, and watch a movie or go outside! I’m telling you, you won’t regret it. 

Remember What’s Important

I know that work can consume us and I don’t want to take away the fact that sometimes work is just an ongoing thing—no “end time” or 9 to 5—but we all have lives! Make time for friends and family, hobbies, and vacations. Especially this time of year, it can get so chaotic that time just slips between our fingers and suddenly it’s already Christmas.

There’s This Thing Called SELF-CARE, USE IT SISTER. 

I’m sure there are millions of posts on why self-care matters, and it does, so I’ll be short and sweet. There should be no guilt when it comes to pampering yourself, even if it means getting that Venti Pumpkin Spice Latte just to get yourself through a study session. We all have our “things” we like to do in order to get ready for the big week ahead. You GO girl. 

When this time of year bites everyone in the butt, remember that among all of the to-do lists, deadlines, applications, appointments, etc., there can be time for yourself if you make time. Plan accordingly, prioritize, remember what is really worth doing and investing your time in, and take it all one day at a time. 

This season is giving us all bad-ass girlboss vibes and I know you can do it. 

Natalie is currently a junior studying Public Relations and Advertising with a minor in Spanish and Event Planning. She is an avid beauty, interiors, and lifestyle enthusiast. When she's not doing yoga or obsessing over her golden retriever pup, you'll find her writing in the SAC, library, at the Stu, and basically, anywhere she can get good wifi connection at DePaul.