This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Heartbreak sucks. And I think I speak for everyone when I say it’s one of the worst things to go through when it seems like you have no time to actually heal due to loads of school work and sorority obligations. So, how do you do it? When you don’t want to get out of bed, but the world keeps on going? 

image

To be honest, I don’t think anyone has an answer. Each person goes through the process of getting back on their feet in different ways. If watching The Bachelor works for you, then watch The Bachelor. 

One of the most difficult yet important things to realize and accept is what happened. You can’t go back and change the past. It doesn’t matter who broke up with who. What matters is that you acknowledge the fact that it happened. You broke up. Everything happens for a reason, and what happened to you was meant to put you on a path towards something greater. 

image

Forgive yourself. 

It’s so easy to get stuck in a constant loop of “maybe I did something wrong” or “maybe they would have stayed if I _____.” Stop. Stop beating yourself up for what happened. What’s done is done. And if you think that you could have saved your relationship from destruction, chances are it was going to break at some point.

Distract yourself. 

Journal your emotions, pour your heart into your psychology homework, join a new club, push yourself to be around people who make you feel like you’re on top of the world. Having a stable support system that you can cry and laugh with is crucial to healing. 

Most importantly, take care of yourself.

If you need a day off, please take one. Make some green tea, put on a face mask, throw on a romantic comedy, and breathe. You come first. 

image

.