samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Shows to Watch While Procrastinating Studies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

photo url

If you clicked on this article, there’s no judgment. We all do it! We all procrastinate at some point while studying. Midterms are coming up and sometimes schoolwork gets overwhelming, so you shut down and then turn on Netflix. As long as you try your best with your schoolwork and get it done in the end, a little procrastinating can’t hurt. One episode (or two) as a brain break is totally fine! If you’re going to procrastinate by watching TV, you may as well watch a good show. Here are 5 shows to watch while you’re procrastinating studying:

1. Atypical

The heartfelt comedy just came out with its second season, and it could not be better. It follows a teenage boy named Sam who falls on the autism spectrum, and his journey as he navigates the dating world. He wants to be more independent, which is hard for his mother to grasp. Atypical not only follows Sam, but showcases his family members’ individual struggles. The show accurately depicts autism, which is refreshing to audiences who have been waiting for that. It will make you laugh, cry, and gasp all in one episode – don’t miss it!

photo url

2. Girls Incarcerated: Young and Locked Up

If you are looking for something more documentary-style, this show is for you. This short series follows teenage girls at a juvenile corrections facility in Madison, Indiana. This facility is one of the only in the country where you can earn a high school diploma behind bars, so it showcases the girls’ experience in working towards it. There is also drama, as many inmates do not get along. The young women reflect about their life choices on-camera and tell what it’s like to miss out on milestones that happen in the outside world. It’s very raw and will touch your heart in unexpected ways, so grab a tissue box!

photo url

3. Everything Sucks!

This show got canceled after its first season, BUT its ending will satisfy you. The show is set in the 1990s, which makes me feel so old! I feel like the 90s wasn’t that long ago. It’s very cute, though. It follows Luke, a high school freshman in the AV club. He develops a crush on a girl named Kate, but Kate is questioning her sexuality as she has feelings for an older girl named Emaline. The show follows Luke and Kate as they struggle with their identities and navigate high school. Get ready to ship certain people by the end and have your heart explode.

photo url

4. Arrested Development

If you like The Office, this show has similar humor. This show is a bit old and has many seasons, but I feel that it is very underrated. It follows Michael Bluth, who has to take over the family real estate business after his father is arrested for a white-collar crime. He has to juggle his spoiled family’s wants while trying to be a good role model for his son, George Michael, who is played by Michael Cera. If that doesn’t sell you, I don’t know what will! Arrested Development is hilarious, you will be laughing out loud guaranteed. It’s one of my all-time favorite shows because it’s a great pick-me-up.

photo url

5. BoJack Horseman

BoJack Horseman is the first animated show Netflix has released, but don’t let that fool you – it is NOT for children. The show is so messed up in so many ways, but that’s what makes it downright hilarious. It follows humanoid horse BoJack Horseman, who used to be a 90s sitcom star of a show that randomly got canceled. After 18 years, he wants to get his life back. Hollywood has changed since he was famous and the show follows his struggles with it. BoJack Horseman actually touches on a lot of current social problems, followed by humor. The creators are definitely woke and know how to make you laugh – I couldn’t think of a better combination.

photo url

Anna Wolf

DePaul '21

DePaul 2021