Tennis Shoes And Water Bottle
Tennis Shoes And Water Bottle
Her Campus Media
Wellness > Health

Workout Classes on Campus During COVID-19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

All freshmen have heard of the freshman 15 but trying to stay fit during a pandemic poses extra challenges.  Wearing a mask can make exercise uncomfortable in addition to the added fear of getting sick from possibly interacting with others who are positive. As a freshman I was nervous about staying fit and healthy during the transition to college. However, I found that working out with friends in small groups outside helps form the bonds of friendship and helps me stay fit. Walking up and down the hill several times a day proved to be tiring and to. be enough fitness at the time but as I started to adjust to the large amounts of walking required of a college student, I decided it was time to start doing more formal workouts. 

My friend convinced me to try out Zumba, which was very fun. Since it was outside we could spread out at least 6 feet apart and not wear a mask. It is a really great option for people who like to dance, listen to upbeat music, and want to have a workout that feels more like a good time. It’s enjoyable but also provides a high intensity cardio workout. We also tested out some online fitness classes, which were nice, but we really missed the personal connections, so we decided to try something new. 

Original Illustration in Canva for Her Campus Media

Next, my friends and I tried out Pilates. This is in The Mitchell Center, so we have to wear masks, but it is low intensity, so it is not bad wearing a mask at all, especially because you are laying down most of the time. It tones your body, goes by fast, and you don’t leave drenched in sweat but rather with a feeling of calmness.  Pilates focuses on your core, back, and leg muscles. My friends and I have been going for the past two weeks now and we won’t be stopping any time soon. It is a really good way to de-stress after a hard week, get your fitness in, and it isn’t super difficult to do while we have to wear our masks. I have found that the low intensity workout classes have been the best during this time because they are easy to do while wearing a mask. It is a really great way to bond with your friends and be active, I highly recommend you try these out for yourself.

Hi! My name is Susannah Watson and I am a freshman at Denison University. I'm from North Manchester, Indiana and I'm interested in studying History and English. I love baking, reading, and watching reality tv!
Claire is a Cleveland native in her fourth & final year at Denison University and is excited to continue her role as the Co-President for the Denison chapter! While she studies Spanish and Political Science, she loves to write in her spare time. She wants to emphasize topics that she is passionate about, spread positivity and optimism in the world, and connect with people through her writing. When she isn't writing or studying, you can find Claire spending time with her family and friends, staying active, enjoying the outdoors, or listening to music.