neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Academics

IS DROPPING A YEAR, A CHOICE WORTH MAKING?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi South chapter.

Dropping a year has traditionally been associated with gambling away the year and the student falling academically behind their other classmates. Now, however, things are entirely different, and students who are motivated to attend their ideal institution and have parental backing have started choosing to drop a year if they do not do well enough to achieve the necessary marks on their entrance exams or further plans regarding their careers.

Students that undertake entrance examinations for admissions- whether for engineering or medicine- and are unsatisfied with their results usually face the dilemma of whether to drop out or not. It might not be wise to rely only on your instincts under such ambiguous circumstances. Students may consider taking a gap year for various reasons, such as the belief that they might have performed better or the simple desire to retake the entrance exams to get admission to the finest universities. Also, the student might want to spend time developing their skills and taking their time with themselves rather than rushing into things.

The line separating a loss from an asset is extremely thin; therefore, there is no definitive answer to the question of whether or not one should cut their year short. It all comes down to the individual’s perspective; aspirants who are committed to their preparation and have a disciplined approach to their professional goals are making a wise investment in their future.

THE PROS

One of the undeniable benefits of taking a drop year is the extra time it will give students to recover from their goals and start thinking about the future. Because of this, students will be better able to achieve and maintain success by closing their gaps, making progress in their problem areas, and honing their strong points. It can be challenging for students to gain all the knowledge and abilities required to move on to the next stage of their learning curve in the modern education system, especially in a nation like India where it is congested. So, the drop year will aid individuals in being ready and willing to go forward.

Thus, taking a drop year can assist students in understanding and evaluating various possibilities, as well as charting out a strong future academic strategy that will provide them with the greatest outcomes.

THE CONS

Whatever the situation may be, missing a year is not the best-case scenario, especially in today’s fast-paced society. While it is beneficial for students to take some time off, dropping a year without a good strategy for making the most use of the available time may have a negative influence on the students’ academic lives in various ways. This extra year will be especially difficult for those who want to pursue higher education through MBA or PhD degrees. The gap in the learning curve that occurs during a gap year might also make it difficult for certain students to match themselves with the challenges and expectations of higher education.

The fundamental reason for taking a gap year, especially after 12th grade, is to better yourself and outperform your former self. Hence, if a student does not take the drop year seriously, the results fall short of expectations. Hence, if you intend to take a gap year, make sure you are at your best to get the ideal outcomes and gain a boost in your further studies. Another thing to keep in mind is that there is a significant risk involved if you choose to take a gap year, and the objectives for you to develop will only grow.

THE BALANCED APPROACH

The neutral way to approach this is to look for reasons to drop, and look for alternate paths available—one must have faith in herself or himself that s/he will be able to judge what is right and wrong for her or him, and critically analyze. This works better than asking a mentor for advice because they know very little about you compared to what you know about yourself.

If you have the rationale ready, you will undoubtedly be more successful. Nevertheless, there is no harm in working hard in other directions and pursuing what you define as success. If you are motivated enough, you will have your success story to share in years to come, no matter what path you choose.

Soumyaa Somatra

Delhi South '24

Independent and self-motivated Sociology Graduate student with work experience in Public communications and Social Media management, looking to put my knowledge of analysis, research methods, creativity and social media towards helping people and creating change.