This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

Emotions can be difficult- we all struggle with them at some point. But what if that struggle became a daily challenge? What if hanging out with friends- a typically enjoyable activity- drained you of energy? That is the regular life of the empath.

Before going further, it is crucial to understand just what an “empath” is. An empath is someone capable of feeling and understanding emotions on a deeper level. Not only are they remarkably in sync with their own emotions, but also those of others. While being an empath certainly has its benefits, let us explore its struggles in greater detail:

• Emotions can quickly become overwhelming

You may have gotten the job you want, lost a pet, or even gotten asked out by your crush. All these events stir emotions but are experienced more intensely by empaths. Once the nervous system has been triggered, the cycle begins. Empaths often get lost in their feelings, and it can be hard to find their way out. One way to break this cycle is to distract yourself. Engage in hobbies, spend time with others, or do anything special for yourself. A professor of mine once said emotions are like clouds. They may be there one moment and gone the next. I could not agree more.

• Everyone’s problems become your own

You might know someone who is going through a difficult time. It could be a friend, family member, or significant other. How does that make you feel, and what do you do? An empath is typically eager to provide support somehow, even if the situation is out of our hands. Your problem suddenly becomes ours. Sometimes, empaths carry the weight of the world on their shoulders simply because they want to help. We understand it is impossible to fix every problem, but we still wish to try.

• It is harder to say no

“Can you help me with this?” “Would you like to join our club?” “Do you want to hang out this weekend?” It is questions such as these that may stress out your average empath. Why? Because we do not want to disappoint you. As previously mentioned, we enjoy helping other people, and, of course, we want to make you happy. A simple “no” might be enough to cause even the slightest disappointment. As a result, we often make commitments we wish we did not. Hence is the reason why we often have less alone time. We are too busy trying to keep up.

• You are more sensitive to violence

Growing up, I could never tolerate much violence or horror in TV shows or movies. I always wondered why. I had friends who enjoyed programs that I could never watch. It was a situation I hoped to grow out of, but not much changed over the years. Soon, I realized it was because I was an empath. Empaths may struggle to detach themselves from the media, making the events onscreen seem especially real. Not only that, but when the show is over, it can be difficult to shake those feelings of anxiety. Our nervous systems are very delicate.

• You want to socialize and be alone at the same time

To spend time with others or relax on your own? That is the question, and college makes it even harder to answer. You may feel tired on a given day, but your friends are hanging out, and you want to join them. The classic FOMO. There is no easy solution, but the best thing to do (in my personal experience) is to prioritize your health. If you need a day to yourself, that is okay. On the other hand, if you need a day of fun, see your friends. Play it by ear and listen to your body!

Emotions can be difficult- especially for empaths- but they can also be quite pleasant. Despite our struggles, our empathy gives us the unique ability to understand people better. In my opinion, that is a gift. Whether you are an empath or not, take the time to appreciate your feelings and those of others. They shape our world and our lives.

Elena Conti

Delaware '25

Elena is a freshman attending the University of Delaware. She is double majoring in Communications and Japanese Studies. Her hobbies include listening to music, playing flute, and playing video games. When the weather is nice, she enjoys spending time outdoors.