Wellness > Mental Health

10 Things To Do When You’re Anxious

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

Anxiety is a normal feeling.  Sometimes it hits at unpredictable moments, and other times you’re aware of the triggers, and know when it’s coming.  As someone who experiences moments of anxiety, I am sharing my strategies below to calm those waves when they build up.

Repeat a Mantra

Repeating a mantra is useful, as your mind is more focused on the repetition. The more you focus on the repetition, the more distracted you become, and those anxious thoughts fall away. Below are some ideas of mantras.

• This feeling will pass
  • Breathe in, breathe out
  • I am safe
  • Blue sky, green grass, yellow sun
  • I will be okay

Talk Yourself Through It

Try answering the following questions out loud:

• What can I do about this situation?
  • How can I handle this?
  • Can I reframe the thought into a more positive or realistic scenario?

Practice Deep breathing

Deep breathing is a less public way of working through moments of anxiety.

• The Fitbit watch has an option called “relax” which gives you visual and vibrating cues for breathing.
  • I usually inhale for 5 counts, hold the breath for 6 counts, and let it out over 7 counts.

Meditate

• The Calm app has also helped me settle those thoughts before they grow.

Call a Loved one

Whether it’s family or friends, talking to someone about how you’re feeling can calm you down.  Be sure to start the conversation with the following:

A) I’m anxious and need to rant

or

B) I’m anxious and would like your support in finding a solution.

Write Down How You’re Feeling

Journaling has helped me calm my thoughts at night, especially after a long day. Writing how I am feeling helps me get the thoughts out of my head and into another space. Here are some prompts:

• How can I describe my feelings today?
  • Was there anything that happened that triggered me or caused anxiety? What did I do about it?
  • How did I address situations that caused me extreme emotions?
  • What can I do better tomorrow?
  • What can someone do that would make me feel better in the future?

Hold A Comfort item

Here are just a few things I hold onto:

• PlayDough
  • Stuffed animal
  • Smooth pebble
  • Soft ball

Listen to soothing music

I have found that listening to the following artists have calmed me down:

• Jack Johnson (specifically his album, “In Between Dreams”)
  • Shawn Mendes
  • Jason Mraz
  • Colbie Caillat (specifically her album, “All of You”)

Watch Something Funny

This could be looking at photos of dogs in wigs, watching Friends, Gilmore Girls, or any comfort show, or even looking up America’s Funniest Home Videos. Anything to get you out of the spiral, and give you a chuckle, will do!

Hopefully these 10 tips will come in handy next time you need it! This feeling will pass, and you will be okay.

Colette Brancaccio is a current senior at the University of Delaware. She is studying Elementary Education with a Concentration in Special Education. She enjoys reading, going for runs, & random dance parties. She is also the Founder and Owner of BHive Designs, a growing business that provides inventive & affordable gifts for any occasion while promoting service to the community.