This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

With the end of the semester approaching, everyone is scrambling to finish up assignments and study for their exams.

Of course, we all want to do our best but that doesn’t mean you should burn yourself out trying to achieve that. It is so important to keep an eye on your mental health at this time of year.

The first thing you should do is make a study timetable or schedule – and stick to it! By setting out a clear and manageable plan you can avoid panicking and cramming everything in at the last minute.

Although it may not feel like you can, you still need to set time aside to do things that you enjoy. There’s absolutely n    o problem with spending a full day studying, but try to take 30 minutes to an hour to do something carefree and enjoyable. This can be setting a goal of reading 30 pages of a book, going on a walk, watching your favourite show – absolutely anything!

With that in mind, you should also try to practice mindfulness. Throughout the day when you are taking breaks, or if you just begin to feel overwhelmed, take a few minutes away from your books and laptop to do some breathing exercise or even a short meditation.

By doing your favourite things and practicing mindfulness, you are still taking care of yourself. However, you should also take care of yourself by eating well and staying active.

By snacking on fruits and other foods that are high in energy you can stay energised for longer. Good food works hand in hand with keeping active, whether that’s some yoga, going for a jog, or dancing around the kitchen; getting your body moving can greatly help alleviate stress.

One of the most important things you can do to protect your mental health is to sleep. Pulling an all-nighter might do more harm than good and is never really worth it in the end.

The more you mind your mental health while studying, the better the outcome will be. By creating a clear and calm mindset you can work for longer and be more confident in your abilities.

We know it might not feel like it at times, but you are doing your very best and that’s all you can do. Don’t be too harsh on yourself and remember that no matter what your results are, you should be proud of yourself for simply putting in the work.

Journalism student and editor of Her Campus for DCU.
BA in Economics, Politics and Law DCU. Currently studying European Union Law in The University of Amsterdam. Campus Correspondent for Her Campus DCU 2020/2021!