Wellness > Mental Health

Mental Health vs Mental Illness, Identifying And Addressing The Difference

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

In today’s society, mental health is broadly discussed amongst younger generations. As well as increasingly amongst our parents, grandparents, and older generations, most of whom would not have grown up in a world where it was normalised to talk about your feelings and emotions. Although we live in a relatively positive environment in relation to mental health supports, have we really become comfortable with mental illness too? Sometimes even saying the word ‘depression’ can cause a room to go quiet, and make faces drop. People who suffer from mental illness are often portrayed as ‘crazy’ or ‘psycho’ in mainstream media, when in reality 1 in 5 people in Ireland aged between 19-24 are currently suffering from a mental illness. In a lecture hall of 300 people, that’s 60 of your classmates and peers. 

Mental health reflects our emotional, psychological, and social wellbeing, whereas mental illness refers to diagnosed conditions that affect a person’s thinking, feeling, mood and behaviour. The term ‘mental health’ implies the absence of illness or disorder. But there are a lot of ways people can be mentally healthy or ill, just like there are many ways to be physically healthy or unwell. Both mental health and mental illness are states of being that are on a spectrum. This misunderstanding can be problematic, leading us to sometimes overlook signs that someone needs help. Many individuals with poor mental health have not been formally diagnosed with a mental illness. Likewise, many people who do have a diagnosed mental illness can experience periods of physical, mental, and social well-being The reality of it is, that 1 in 5 statistic could be one of your best friends, your coworkers, your siblings, your parents, or anyone you come across in your day to day life. Sadly, unlike a broken leg, a mental illness is essentially invisible upon first glance. Many would ask the question, ‘if you can’t see it, then what does it look like?’, and the truth is, each illness, each person’s experience and how they cope, looks different. We can never truly know a person’s struggles by looking at them or even having a conversation with them, that’s why it’s so vital to always be kind to other people, and treat them how you hope to be treated. Mental health resources like medication or therapy are vital, especially to those struggling with their mental health, but in reality, not everyone may be able to access these things, with the increasing demand for private therapy, prices are rising too high for the average person to maintain regular attendance. While there are a lot of resources to help people dealing with these struggles, like in-person or online therapy or mental health hotlines, they may not be available or suited to everyone. 

If you or someone you know is struggling with mental health, know that there are a lot of other people who can relate to you. The effects of one’s mental health manifests differently for everyone, and although a person may appear happy, that might not always be the case. Speak with a specialist, look for local and online support groups, turn to your friends and your family for support, and remember that you aren’t alone. Support for people in Ireland are listed below.

Pieta House : Call 1800 247 247 or text HELP to 51444

HSE Anonymous : Text 50808

Samaritans : 116 123

Hi! I’m Caoimhe , i’m a first year Law and Politics Student. Aswell as occasionally writing for HerCampus, i’m also the new Podcast Coordinator for HerVoice!