This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

We’ve all been there; you walk in the door, soaking wet from the rain with a bag so heavy your back might break and 1001 assignments due in the next 24 hours. Not to mention the absolutely incredible hunger you feel. That’s when the perfectly balanced, nutrient-rich dinner that you had planned for yourself. Suddenly migrates into the greasiest, sloppiest takeaway available. 

Now, I’m not saying that this is bad or shouldn’t happen. I mean that’s what takeaways were made for! But sometimes, just sometimes, it’s nice to know that at the end of a long day you have some tasty, home-cooked, pre-prepared food to jump right into. Here are a few tips to get you started! 

Tip #1

• Cut your veggies!!! This has honestly saved my life (and my bank account) more times than I can count. While it is better to cut vegetables as close to cooking as possible, a few hours won’t make a huge difference. So if it means chopping veggies the night before or getting up 10 minutes earlier (instead of scrolling on the gram), your future self will thank you I promise! 

Tip #2

• The freezer is your best friend when it comes to food prep. Cook twice as much and then freeze the rest for an emergency day where you don’t have the time to cook something new. Just remember to date EVERYTHING and follow guidelines on whatever it is you’re wanting to freeze (to avoid food poisoning!). Also, speaking from experience, carbs such as pasta and what not, don’t go over too well in the freezer. So microwave rice or 3 minute noodles can be a good option to avoid waiting too long. 

Tip #3

• My final tip is to make your lunch and bring it into college with you. I know that this might not seem the most glamorous but I promise you, your bank account and your body will thank you later. Whether it’s a yummy salad or a tasty sambo, having pre-prepared food will save you during those long days of lectures.

Warning: this is where you become obsessed with Tupperware. Congratulations, you’re a real adult now! 

Meadhbh is currently studying to become a primary school teacher in DCU. She's started her first year of university online during the pandemic. Before attending DCU, Meadhbh studied Dance at Inchicore College of Future Education and now holds a Level 5 QQI in Dance. She is a part-time dance teacher and full-time dance enthusiast. Meadhbh is very excited to be writing for HerCampusDCU this year!