jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

An Editor’s Farewell To DCU HerCampus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

I came from a really small school, and in that school, I had such a great group of friends and was very much involved in all aspects of my time there. Fast forward to my first year in college. Being one of four students from my school that actually went on to university, there I stood in a sea of fresh eyed freshers more or less completely, alone.  

I struggled quietly, meaning I had a great big smile on my face while on the inside my reflection looked more of a half-winced spasm on my face that in now way looked like a smile. I found at times I was intimidated of the mass of it all, having come from a school with only 200 students. I let my fears and anxieties of not being accepted hold me back from actually immersing myself in DCU culture, how typical.  

Then along cam Rach, Meg and the wonder of HerCampus DCU. I had not actually met the girls before HC came along, but it was so refreshing to see a soon to be a society so laid back and inviting. EVERYONE was welcome, no exceptions. Before this, I had really struggled to find a society that I felt welcomed in. I had a huge love for writing and media but I wasn’t sure how I could really utilise this.  

I became an avid write for HerCampus DCU and my love for writing and pitching article ideas really blossomed in my second year of college. I felt very lucky to be part of something so liberating, women empowering and accepting, I still do.  

It was the start of my final year when Rachael and Megan offered myself and the amazing and determined Niamh Shield co head editor positions. It was a dream, having always wanted to take my skills further I was ecstatic. I can also easily say that without a doubt getting to work with Niamh has been a highlight of being apart of HerCampus, she genuinely has the kindest heart and most amazing work ethic.  

Having been offered an event management position I will be taking my female boss skills to another level when I graduate. But finishing up also means something else, that it’s time to hang up my editing cape for the next superwoman to come. 

My piece of knowledge for the contributors and editors to come? Revel in every single moment of YOUR college experience. Never compare or contrast anyone else’s time here in DCU to your own. Because your moments are an accumulation of the uniqueness that is you.  

Throw yourself into the deep end every time you get a chance to jump from the highest peak.  

Love yourself, be good to your friends and write, write, write! I can say with my typing hand on heart that being apart of Her Campus in every aspect whether it be writing or editing, has been the major highlight of my time as a student. 

I have loved every moment and wish every person apart of this team, joy, excitement, love and courage. Courage to be the person who want to be.  

All my love,  

One half of your editorial team, Katie.  

My name is Katie Geraghty and I am currently studying Communication Studies in DCU. I am Irish born and breed and love to write about all things fashion, lifestyle and travel!
 21 Campus Correspondent for HC DCU  Love interviewing empowering people to give them the love and attention they deserve!