Culture > News

DCU to be only University Featured on Dublin Edition Monopoly Board

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

DCU paid for a square on the board game, and also ensured that no other Dublin university would get a spot in the new board game. 

DCU Deputy President Daire Keogh told The College View, “We are delighted with the inclusion of DCU on the new look Dublin Monopoly board. Like the university itself, this edition is fresh and vibrant and it puts Dublin City University exactly where it should be, firmly on the map, and at the centre of all the action.”  

The university’s square on the board is placed where Grafton Street, Wicklow Street and George’s Street were in previous editions and is worth 320 Monopoly dollars. 

They were also promised that their spot on the board would not be changed in future editions of the game. 

In addition, the university purchased the most expensive package offered by the company in charge of Monopoly Europe, Winning Moves securing them a spot on the board, an individualised ‘chance’ card, and their logo printed on the lid cover. 

They are featured on the board along with 29 other Dublin landmarks, and many of the other businesses similarly paid for a spot as well. 

Along with popular landmarks in Dublin, business such as Freshly Chopped and Maxwell photography will be included in the game. 

The Advertising Standard Authority of Ireland (ASAI) said the board game, whose target audience is mainly families and children, lacked transparency as the board game did not indicate that these businesses paid to be featured. 

However, the ASAI does not have authority over the board, as the game is not covered by their code. 

Winning Moves declined to respond to these concerns when contacted by the Irish Times but said the game represented “the past, present and future [of Dublin] for the current and next generation 

Despite the controversy, DCU accommodation will be taking a €10 deposit to buy the board games and make them available to students, in an attempt to make the residence a social spot. 

А в глубине души мы все хотим сожрать богатых.
DCU campus correspondent 2018/19. Third-year media studies and politics student in DCU. From the beautiful city of Kilkenny. Opinionated about social issues. Enjoys writing a cheeky article here and there. Loves everything to do with queer culture and is obsessed with drag. Works part-time as a receptionist and one day hopes to work for an online media publication. Loves Her Campus and all it stands for.