This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Spending time in isolation because of the pandemic has taught us lessons. Many have been feeling a sense of overarching stagnant energy as we spend another day in our humble abodes, waiting for Covid-19 to be a distant memory. Although we can’t experience life to the fullest right now, here are some ways you can work on yourself to emerge as your highest self. 

It is natural to want to seek validation from others. Humans are pack animals, and the approval of those around us often boosts our ego. If you look at things from a different perspective, people’s opinions of you don’t actually matter in the long run. Being your true and authentic self will attract like-minded people into your social circle. The only person you should be striving to impress is yourself. The silver lining is that you can choose who stays and leaves your life. This avoids anyone ruining your vibe! 

This leads me to discuss how overstimulated we are on a daily basis. Our Reticular Activating System (RAS) in the subconscious mind has the important job of filtering our reality and showing our conscious mind what it needs to focus on the most. Now, with apps such as TikTok and Instagram, the RAS is being overworked. Exposing your RAS to negativity will only manifest it into your reality as that is all you are seeing. Turn off your phone and go outside to allow your brain to reset.

Set aside sometime in your day to just sit with yourself and your own thoughts. Meditating can do wonders for self-reflection. The point of meditation is not to ignore your negative thoughts, but rather to acknowledge them and let it pass like a wave. Your breath is the anchor, the one stable thing you will always have. Journaling is another option to release any burdens. Physically writing down your stream of consciousness declutters the chaos in your mind. Adding these activities to your daily routine can ease stress, anxiety and allow you to get back some control. 

Become self-aware of your own toxic traits. This doesn’t mean you have to start self-criticising and taking your entire personality apart. My French teacher had this quote in her classroom that has always resonated with me – “There are no negative attributes in someone, just progress points”. I never understood that quote until I self-evaluated one day. I realised that I can be impulsive and rush into relationships too quickly, resulting in both parties getting hurt. As corny as it might sound, no one is flawless. The quicker you learn what your “progress points” are, the happier you and your relationship with the world will be. 

As Shawn Mendes once said in his song ‘Understand’, “Changing isn’t a bad thing, it never was. But at the end of the day, you know, you’re the same person. And, and where your heart is, that doesn’t change”. Becoming more in tune with yourself will bode any changes around and inside you. Visualise your highest self and start showing up as them.

HerCampus DCU Co-Chairperson
BA in Economics, Politics and Law DCU. Currently studying European Union Law in The University of Amsterdam. Campus Correspondent for Her Campus DCU 2020/2021!