bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

10 Tips For A Healthy New Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Staying healthy throughout college is incredibly important. A healthy body and mind will help with productivity and allow you to achieve the best results possible with plenty of energy. Here are some tips on getting the most out of your health this semester. 

1. Set alarms 

Getting up earlier will give you a head start on the day and allow you to organise your time for the day ahead. Ensure that you get enough sleep every night as deep sleep contributes to brain function and muscle repair and growth. 

1. Move yo’ feet! 

Total Daily Energy Expenditure comes from the amount that you move your body. Going for a walk, to the gym or playing a sport all contribute to this. Stretching your muscles and getting some fresh air can do wonders for the body and the mind so getting into a regular exercise routine will contribute hugely to sustained health. 

1. Check in with loved ones 

Instead of giving your granny a text, call her and see how she’s doing. Healthy family relationships are very important for the mind and checking in on close ones can only benefit both involved. Hearing the voice or seeing the face of a loved one can produce oxytocin and serotonin in the body which both contribute to healthy minds! 

1. Meditate 

Meditation is a wonderful tool if you can get into it. Just focusing on breathing can seriously reduce the symptoms of anxiety and can aid sleep, which is important for recovery. The Headspace app has ten free guided meditations and YouTube contains hours of free guided meditation. 

1. Meal plan and preparation 

Meal prepping, and planning can cut food costs and unnecessary calories. Planning simple meals with a grain, some vegetables and a protein is an easy and cost-effective way of ensuring that you are eating healthy. Preparing a batch of food at the start of the week to take to work or college makes it easy to eat well and save money on food. 

1. Take a break from your screen 

Looking at too much blue light from phone and laptop screens can impede sleep and eye function. Setting a limit to your phone’s screen time can raise awareness of the amount of time you spend staring at a screen and help to reduce that time. 

1. Start saving 

Putting away even a few euro a day can seriously add up and leave you with a rainy-day fund. Knowing that some money is set aside can have a positive impact on your mental health as it will take away some financial worry and it can be used to contribute to things which will lead to better health, like healthy food shopping or joining a gym. 

1. Listen to podcasts 

Listening to informative podcasts can help to inform you on different topics from different perspectives and contribute to learning, keeping the mind healthy and active. 

1. Plan your days 

Get a planner or Google calendar and fill it with everything you need to do that day or week. It will help you to get organised and ensure that you don’t get overwhelmed. Make sure to plan in some down time. 

1. Read a book 

Reading is incredibly important for the mind and it can help you to learn while also relax. Reading before bed can help the mind to wind down and aid sleep. 

Just a vegan who loves to write about food, travel and all that good stuff!
 21 Campus Correspondent for HC DCU  Love interviewing empowering people to give them the love and attention they deserve!