kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Rx Bars: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Rx bars have taken the trendy health world by storm. Their scant wholesome ingredients are listed in a big font right on the front of the packaging, and they contain a good ratio of protein, fats, and carbs. If you are like me, you have seen these little bars at your favorite smoothie joint or yoga studio but personally, I have been wary of trying them. Lucky for you, a late night scroll on Facebook led me to a promotion Rx Bars was having that led me to impulsively buy a variety pack. Since nothing is worse than spending money on gross food, I have compiled my notes on the different Rx bar flavors I have tried so that you can make an informed purchasing decision. 

1. Chocolate sea salt  

• Very noticeable salt (in both taste and appearance)  
  • Bitter chocolate aftertaste
  • Fudgy consistency   
  • Satisfying for sweet tooth cravings 
  • Overall rating: 7.5/10

2. Blueberry

• Strong blueberry flavor that didn’t taste very artificial but since the bar isn’t juicy like a real berry it still seemed weird
  • Fibrous texture 
  • Not very sweet (you may like this, I did not) 
  • Overall rating: 4/10

3. Maple sea salt

• Smells really good as soon as you open it 
  • Maple taste was not as strong as smell
  • Salt was not overwhelming 
  • Overall rating: 8/10 

4. Coconut

• This flavor was so gross I didn’t even take a picture of it #sorrynotsorry
  • I am sorry. I hate coconut. I think it is an abomination to this planet (unless it is toasted on a cookie drizzled with chocolate and being sold by a cute little girl in a vest—AKA a samoa) 
  • I spit this out right into the box it was mailed in. Yup, I am such a baby I couldn’t even swallow one bite.
  • Maybe if you are the kind of person who likes coconut you would like this? Idk.
  • Rating: 1/10

5. Peanut Butter

• Subtle but decently noticeable peanut butter flavor
  • The only bar that didn’t have a bitter aftertaste
  • Cookie dough consistency
  • Overall rating: 9/10

TBH my favorite part about these bars is how quiet the wrappers are—you won’t be embarrassed trying to discreetly open one of these in the middle of a lecture like some other bars (I’m looking at you, KIND bars). These bars could also make a great light breakfast on the go or pre-workout snack. You can order them off this website!

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Monday at 8 p.m. in the Morcott Room.