5 Of the Best Places to Run Around Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

I’ve trained for two half marathons while on campus, so I’ve had my fair share of time spent running around the area. The biggest problem I found was getting bored with the same old long run routes. This is a (short) list of the places where I like to run, but if you have any suggestions, comment below!

1) The cross-country trails

This is a no-brainer, but I’ve found that if you switch up which direction you’re going, doing multiple loops doesn’t feel that repetitive.

2) River Run Athletic Park

You can get to this either via the Greenway or Concord road, and it backs up to a sprawling neighborhood with plenty of roads to explore. The park also has a water fountain and bathrooms, perfect for a mid-run break.

3) Treadmill Triathlon

Sometimes if I’m really not feeling a long run, I trick myself by breaking it up. I’ll do a mile or two on the treadmills at New Dorm, run a mile or two around campus, do a mile or two in the Union gym, another mile or two around campus.

4) The U.S. National Whitewater Center

This is great if you can carve out the time to drive there. Pay a $5 parking fee, and you have access to all of the trails on the property. They’ve also got great amenities like an Outfitters store, bathrooms, etc

5) To Cornelius and Beyond

For a simple out and back, just head down Main Street, through Cornelius, and as far as your legs (and the sidewalk) will take you. This is also relatively flat, a rare find in this area.

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Monday at 8 p.m. in the Chambers 1003.