This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dartmouth chapter.

When you don’t want to procrastinate, but you DO want a study break, here are five-minute activities to get your brain working again.

1. Take a walk. It’s an easy exercise, and it allows blood flow to get back to your feet if you’ve been sitting down too long.
  2. Look around, enjoy the scenery. Stare out a window and people-watch, but not in a creepy way. It’s always good to be in the moment.
  3. Inhale and exhale. Take five deep breaths, holding each for at least a three-count before you exhale again.
  4. Sip at a nice, warm mug of tea. Aside from keeping you hydrated, it can also relax/stimulate you depending on what tea blend you get.
  5. Speaking of hydration, drink WATER. If you forget to drink water, you’re going to start feeling light-headed and won’t be able to work anymore.
  6. Listen to a song that you really enjoy. Dance a little bit to it. Try to find something you associate with good times and memories. 
  7. Talk to a friend. Either if you’re studying together or need to make a cellphone call, have a nice little chat. It’s always good to reconnect with those you care about.
  8. Make a snack. Five-minute snacks should, ideally, have some kind of protein, a piece of fruit, or something else on the food pyramid. Need to fuel your mind!

Those are some good five-minute self-care ideas! Remember, you should never feel guilty for taking a study break. That time is for YOU, so embrace it.

Sophia Whittemore is a Correspondent for the Dartmouth HXCampus branch. When not working on HXCampus, they're writing webcomics on Webtoons, Pride books for Wattpad, was a staff writer at AsAm News, and has published the "Impetus Rising" series back when they were in high school. Sophia's also a geek, but who isn't?