7 Ways to Start Your Day with Positive Vibes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dartmouth chapter.

If your day is starting off a little funky (and not in the good way), and you need some pick-me-ups for the daily grind of college life… (Need I mention midterm and exams?) Then, here are a few ways to pick up those good vibrations and prep yourself to live your best life. 

1. Throw a dance party in your dorm room.

Sure, you’ll look silly. But lip-sync to your favorite song and go all-out on the air guitar. Tell me you didn’t smile a little.

2.             Wake up late.

Getting sleep is important. Treat yourself a little. Don’t force yourself to run on four hours and a Five Hour Energy drink. Alternatively… 

3.             Wake up early.

No, it’s not just for farmers and roosters. Waking up early can lead to greater productivity. More hours in the day to do all the things you wanted to do, right? Speaking of which…

4.             Go to the Gym.

The gym isn’t a secret section of hell for, what we call NARPS at Dartmouth (non-athletic regular people). Even if you’re just walking on the treadmill or doing a couple stretches, going to the gym can get your blood pumping, relieve stress, and give you those mythical endorphins.

5.             Eat a Solid Breakfast.

Make the trek to your favorite dining hall. Google a recipe, crack an egg, and put some bread in the toaster. A handful of almonds might count as “breakfast”, but your growling stomach won’t be thanking you during your 9 AM class.

6.             Talk with Good Friends.

Whether you have to call your besties at home, or stop by someone’s dorm building, good conversation with good people can be an excellent start to an otherwise monstrosityof a day.

7.             Sit in the Sun.

Is your location blessed with a little bit of sunshine and vitamin D? Good. Sit out in the sun (with sunscreen if you plan on staying out there for hours) and soak in those rays!

***

Well, those were seven ways to steer your day in the right direction. I hope they at least made you smile, even if all you did was go “huh, that’s somewhat of a good idea”, then forget about it. Remember, positive vibes aren’t given to us by magical fairies. Positive vibes are something you can work on finding, you just have to find what method works best. Give yourself a slice of happiness! (And if that slice comes in the form of cake, eat it too!)

Sophia Whittemore is a Correspondent for the Dartmouth HXCampus branch. When not working on HXCampus, they're writing webcomics on Webtoons, Pride books for Wattpad, was a staff writer at AsAm News, and has published the "Impetus Rising" series back when they were in high school. Sophia's also a geek, but who isn't?