Wellness

My Lifelong Admiration for Playing Tennis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Tennis has always been my favorite sport ever since I was a child, and it continues to hold a special place in my heart today for all the positive attributes it has brought to my life. I associate the sport with many great memories, such as the first time I took lessons at the age of seven and when I played competitively every spring for my high school team. Not only did I love to play the game by myself and with my friends, but I also enjoyed watching tennis on TV so I could see my favorite players perform at Grand Slam tournaments. Maria Sharapova and Serena Williams were my top role models growing up because they displayed a significant amount of dedication and perseverance on the court. I used to dream that I could one day be like them, but of course, I never trained as hard as them or took the sport as seriously as they did. Over the years I began to play tennis less competitively because I wasn’t forced to play against other teams, but I found it to be a more healthy activity to enjoy with friends. Regardless of how I choose to play, I still very much adore and respect the sport for its beauty and tradition.

Tennis, two people playing tennis
Photo by Mudassir Ali from Pexels
I consider playing tennis a therapeutic activity. Just like any sort of physical exercise, playing tennis can release endorphins, which are chemicals found in your body that reduce your perception of pain. When the weather holds up and I need to let off some steam, walking to the tennis courts on campus is one of my solutions. The stress of completing schoolwork and graduating during the pandemic has pushed me to want to play more often. I often need to turn my attention towards something else that carries more positive vibes and playing tennis does exactly that for me. Whenever I play, I always bring my large tennis bag that holds several racquets inside in case other people I meet on the courts want to play as well. When it comes to playing tennis, I exhibit a “more the merrier” mentality because it makes the game more enjoyable and interesting when you have others around to interact with. Additionally, tennis is an amazing sport because you can play it socially distanced, so it’s great for group participation in terms of where our society is at now. If someone were to ask me what my idea of paradise looks like, I would say that it is playing on a tennis court with the sun beaming down on me and blasting my summer playlist with my visor and shades on. Thinking of this image right now makes me wish summer would arrive already.

Tennis will always have a huge influence on my life because of the unforgettable memories I have created around it and because of my deep passion and devotion to the sport. Are there any sports or activities that you have a special connection to? Let our Her Campus team know over our social! As always, HC XOXO

Leslie is the Vice President and Chief Editor for Her Campus Central Washington University. As a senior at CWU studying English Literature, she hopes to one day become an investigative journalist. Her many interests include playing tennis, watching The Office, and traveling. Leslie is from Issaquah, Washington and she has been writing for Her Campus for two years.