This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Presidential elections can lead to a lot of anxiety and stress. When you add a global pandemic to that, it can feel impossible to have a positive outlook on life. Although this isn’t an easy time for anyone, it’s imperative that we all take time to focus on our mental health. Here are some simple reminders that can make all the difference during this unsettling time. 

Sleep

Sleep is often overlooked by many college students as we all have hectic lifestyles. However, getting enough sleep is crucial when taking care of our mental health. Try to aim for at least 6-8 hours as a functioning brain and body depend on the amount of rest you get. 

Nutrition

Peanut Noodle Salad
Alex Frank / Spoon
Make sure to fuel your body with the proper nutrients it needs, especially during this stressful time. Trust me, eating balanced meals will make all the difference. Try to also steer clear of junk food! Drinking at least 6 glasses of water a day is a great tip to stay hydrated. There are many food resources available to those in need and to those who are impacted by the pandemic. Are you living on campus? Central Washington University has great food resources, such as the CWU PUSH Pantries

Journaling

journaling
Photo by My Life Journal from Unsplash
Writing down your thoughts and feelings during this time is a good way to release a lot of emotions, and it can really be beneficial to your overall well-being. It’s also a great alternative for those who don’t feel comfortable sharing personal things with friends and family. I highly recommend journaling to everyone as an outlet of self-expression! 

CWU Resources 

If you or anyone you know is seeking other options for help, such as therapy or professional help, CWU has amazing student resources. Try checking out the CWU Counseling Services that is located on campus in Ellensburg. As someone that’s used their therapy sessions before, they were extremely helpful for me. 

In the midst of all the chaos, I hope that everyone can take some time out of their day to focus on their mental health and overall well-being.

Professional and Creative Writing Major.