This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

A few years back, tea detoxes were all the rage and were endorsed by major celebrities by Amber Rose or any of the Kardashians. It was a quick fix to help you shed the pounds like it was that easy. But should we be trusting a single drink like tea to help us lose weight and lose it fast? The facts about “teatoxes” may shock you. 

In the U.S. Health News article in 2021, if you start a tea detox while being on a regular diet, you are most likely not going to see any change in terms of weight loss. Most of the teas that are promoting this detox lifestyle come with directions advising individuals to consume minimal calories. By doing this you will most certainly lose weight but only because you are starving yourself. Many believe that detox tea will speed up your metabolism leading to weight loss. But, with any science-backed association with an increased metabolic rate and drinking tea, this has only been seen in mice who consumed caffeinated green tea. 

When it comes to the side effects, that will have you running, to the restroom. Most detox teas make you go to the bathroom by including a laxative type of ingredient, such as herb senna. In this case, the only weight you will be losing is water weight but not cleansing for your digestive system. You are so much better off eating foods that are rich in fiber such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. You can even take in prebiotics and postbiotics if you want anything healthy for your digestive system. Our bodies are designed to get rid of toxins every day. It is done by your kidneys and your liver. Most detox teas contain caffeine, which can help provide a boost of energy. They also help to reduce bloat because again, of the laxative-like properties that lurk inside. 

Since most of these teas are considered dietary supplements, they are not regulated by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration. There have been instances reported where a product included ingredients not listed on the packaging, even some that were allergy triggering. If you are on any medications, you should 100% check with your doctor before trying one. Possible side effects from these teas are chronic diarrhea due to dehydration, with too much caffeine you may experience anxiety, nervousness, insomnia, agitation or even eventually a heart attack or stroke. The bottom line, your body does not need a detox tea to detox. You are much better off providing your body with natural nutrients through fruits, vegetables, grains and dairy. You must provide your body energy and by doing that you have to have the appropriate calories consumed along with the balance of exercise. In my opinion detox teas are not the way to go. Starving yourself and going to liquids is not the answer to a healthy diet.

As always if you are looking to lose weight always talk with your doctor and get referred to a dietitian for further nutritional guidance.

My name is Katelyn Richardson. I am 29 years old. I am currently attending Central Washington University studying for my Master's in food and sciences to become a nutritionist and later a diabetes educator for kids. I've been personally battling type 1 diabetes since I was six years old. I love being outside, vintage shopping, watching movies, and going to stock car races! I love being a Her Campus Contributor because it gives me a platform to talk about current issues, topics I'm passionate about & real-life relatable experiences.