Culture > News

An Update Regarding the 8 Passengers Situation

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

In late November of last year, I wrote an article concerning Ruby Frankie and Jodi Hildebrandt’s legal case. If you don’t know who these two women are, here is the link to my previous article where you can get the full rundown:

⚖️ Related: All You Need to Know About the 8 Passengers Situation

For some context, Ruby Frankie is a YouTuber who posted LDS family content alongside her husband and 6 children. Frankie has been scrutinized in the past for posting this kind of content and for her unconventional punishment tactics. Most notably, Ruby threatened to revoke “food privileges” from her children if they misbehaved. In 2019, the couple sought out marriage counselling and were recommended to go to Jodi Hildebrandt, who at the time, was an acclaimed mental health professional in the Mormon church. After a while, people noticed Ruby posting less and less on 8 Passengers and more on her new partnership with Hildebrandt on a website called Connextions.

In August of 2023, police were alerted to a house belonging to a neighbor of Jodi’s following a 911 call. The neighbor expressed that a young boy (one of Ruby’s children) knocked on his door asking for food and water. He was clearly starved and hurt, with the neighbor pointing out that there were signs that the boy had been bound with rope. Upon further investigation, it was discovered that the Frankies’ two youngest children (ages 10 and 12 as of February 2024), had been abused and kept in the house of Jodi Hildebrandt with Ruby’s knowing consent.

So what’s happening now?

The last update that I had back in November was that the two had been booked and convicted of 6 counts of child abuse each (three alleged forms of abuse against each of the two children). However, as of February 20th 2024, the two women have officially been sentenced. Both Ruby and Jodi are facing 1-15 years in prison for each of the 4 final charges of child abuse. This means that Ruby and Jodi could serve up to 60 years in prison for their crimes.

Ruby Frankie and Jodi Hildebrandt Sentencing

According to Ruby’s lawyer, she will not attempt to appeal her sentencing, with her attorney stating to TODAY.com “As far as we know, Ruby Franke does not have any intentions of appealing the sentence. . .She has taken full responsibility for her actions and is prepared to serve her time in prison.” https://www.today.com/parents/family/live-blog/ruby-franke-sentencing-child-abuse-rcna139269

However, Jodi seems to be not taking accountability at all, with the prosecutors stating at her sentencing that she still believes that the Frankie children are the real manipulators and are at fault. Hildebrandt’s attorney did not speak on appeal prior to her sentencing.

My Thoughts. . .

Personally, after having watched the trial play out over live stream, I believe that there are so many factors to consider. Ruby Frankie in her statement during sentencing expressed her deepest apologies to all affected and stated “For the past four years, I’ve chosen to follow counseling guidance that has led me into a dark delusion. My distorted version of reality went largely unchecked, as I would isolate from anyone who challenged me.” This to me is referencing her guidance from Hildebrandt and how she was manipulated into a false reality that led to the eventual abuse of her children. Though I believe that this did in fact happen and that she is truly sorry, I do not think she is innocent at all. She still knowingly put two of her young children into the care of Hildebrandt and sat back as her children were tortured.

That being said, I do truly believe that Jodi is much guiltier in this situation. I see a terrifying God complex in this woman, leading to her treatment of those that she feels she needs to fix. Her intense interpretation of the doctrine of the LDS church fuels her improper use of her Psychology credentials, which on multiple occasions, has quite literally ruined families.

In conclusion, this case has been a whirlwind of emotions for everyone involved. I feel deeply for the Frankie family and for the children trapped in the environment they were in while in Jodi’s care. It is a huge relief to see people getting what they deserve in circumstances like this.

Hi there! My name is Anna and this is my first year on the CWU Her Campus team! I am extremely interested in all things social media, theater/broadway, and criminal law! I'm from the beautiful Tri-Cities, Washington, and have 3 dogs back at home (I know, I'm a dog mom which automatically makes me THAT cool). I've always had a passion for all things theater and entertainment. I also dance here at Central for a dance company, so you might just catch me in a few productions! I'm so excited to take you along with me on my journey through college as I attempt to navigate this big ol' scary world! So excited to see what Her Campus has to offer, and I hope you enjoy my work!