This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

As I’ve learned more about the world of nutrition, I’ve discovered that all foods fight and some within moderation.  Fast food is something that we are never going to get away from, it’s fast, easy and convenient for everyone.  I got inspired by a Tik Toker dietitian who recently started a series sharing what she orders at fast food establishments.  I want to give my take and perspective on what I would order and nutritionally what it provides for my body.

McDonald’s:  When it comes to one of America’s favorite burger establishments you can’t go wrong with a classic, the McDonald’s hamburger.  The traditional hamburger includes mustard, ketchup, onions and pickles within all that your already getting protein with your meat, and some vegetables like onions and lettuce help to get your vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin B6, potassium and folate.  Pair this with a side of apple slices to get some fiber.  Something new I discovered on McDonald’s menu that I’m anxious to try just because is a frozen Sprite lymonade, something sweet but that’s okay to have something that is not necessarily packed with nutrients. 

Taco Bell: Honestly, who doesn’t love Taco Bell?  We have no clue why, but there are times when it just hits the spot.  I’m a sucker for a crunchwrap supreme usually I just go traditional and have it with seasoned beef, light on the sour cream, tomatoes, lettuce and easy nacho cheese but I’d recommend a healthier protein option to swap out the seasoned beef for chicken.  With your crunchwrap you’re getting your protein from your chicken and great energy-boosting nutrients like riboflavin and niacin, you are also getting vitamin C, calcium and iron into your diet.  To add some grains and legumes to your diet, I would pair my crunchwrap with a side of black beans and rice.  You could add a side of guacamole for some healthy fats as well.  One of my favorite drinks that I like to treat myself with is a blue raspberry freeze to complete the Taco Bell feast. 

Five Guys: My personal opinion but Five Guys has the best burgers hands down.  It is not the healthiest option, however, go for the vegetables when building your burger.  Add the lettuce, tomato, onions and pickles.  I typically go for a little bacon cheeseburger because of how crispy they cook the bacon.  I also love their fries but they can be very salty sometimes so go for the little fry and better yet take a friend and split it with them! 

Dominos: I haven’t ordered takeout pizza in a long time but Dominos was always the family favorite.  When ordering from Dominos, I would get a thin-crust pizza with black olives and Italian sausage.  For some more vegetables, I would add some green peppers and onions.  In a pizza like this, your getting high levels of vitamin B-12, iron, folate, vitamin B6, potassium and vitamin E.  When in doubt on wanting the most out of your pizza find some vegetable options to amp it up. 

Don’t look at fast food as the enemy, look at it as an opportunity to make the best choices in a menu provided for you.  Ask yourself, can I make it more healthful with a side of fruit or vegetables?  Can I still be satisfied with a smaller size of something I love?  The answer is yes, all foods fit.  The way you use them is how beneficial they can be to your body.  Forget the guilt, enjoy food in a positive light. 

My name is Katelyn Richardson. I am 29 years old. I am currently attending Central Washington University studying for my Master's in food and sciences to become a nutritionist and later a diabetes educator for kids. I've been personally battling type 1 diabetes since I was six years old. I love being outside, vintage shopping, watching movies, and going to stock car races! I love being a Her Campus Contributor because it gives me a platform to talk about current issues, topics I'm passionate about & real-life relatable experiences.