This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

While talking to my friend about therapy, I found that we were both wary of trying it because we know what our issues are, we just don’t know how to solve them. It seems this dilemma is not isolated to just my close circle, as people have recently taken to Tik Tok to share their frustrations about therapy. Tik Tok user @serre.v2 garnered over 150k likes on a video describing how her therapist told her she was “too self aware” to be further helped. Therapy experiences like these discourage others – including myself – from finding a therapist and leaves them feeling under the impression that their problems are chronic. However, what most people don’t know is that therapy comes in many forms; they just need to find the therapy that works best for them. 

@serre.v2

I look weird in this but yeah lmao thank you lauren you were a great friend if not a great therapist

♬ original sound – 𝒿

For example, PsychCentral would recommend the rejected TikTok user partake in psychoanalytical therapy rather than the standard cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). Psychoanalytical therapy dissects the unconscious thoughts that influence ongoing behaviors and mindsets. This kind of therapy analyzes repressed trauma and unresolved issues in patients, meaning it will provide closure for those receiving treatment. This closure equips those who frequently fall into toxic or negative behavioral problems with the tools necessary to break those cycles. On the contrary, CBT seeks to solve current problems rather than suppressed ones. It does this by utilizing goal-making and problem-solving strategies in patient work. This would be ineffective for a “self-aware” individual because it only explains what the patient’s issue is rather than why it occurs. Thus, people interested in beginning therapy should perform research on which type of therapy would work best for them. 

Therapy is an evolving industry, though. Therapists, psychiatrists and even those outside of the psychology profession continue to experiment with therapy types. In his New Yorker article, Nick Romero details his experience with philosophical counseling. Philosophical counseling poses personal issues as life questions. If a client is having difficulties with money, a philosophical counselor may ask,  “What role does wealth play in a good life?”. While they may not be able to diagnose people or prescribe medications, philosophical therapists can change client’s perceptions of their lives, which empowers them to make changes on their own. Lydia Amir, a philosophical counselor suggests, “Philosophy alone [is] capable of sparking transformation by exposing people to many viewpoints and increasing their capacity to assess them rationally.” The options of therapy expand past the walls of a traditional therapist’s office. Emotional refuge and healing can be found in philosophy, nature and art, not just conversation. 

I adamantly believe everyone should go to therapy, but I understand how daunting executing the task is. Being vulnerable with a stranger, feeling scrutinized, testing out multiple therapists to find one that fits you best … it takes a lot of work and a lot of time. I feel like the process can be made easier, though, if people understand what they’re looking to get out of therapy. This way, they can find the type of therapy that is most applicable to and effective for them. So before speed-dating therapists, do some research. Find out what will help you best and what will make you enjoy therapy. That will make all the difference.

Keeley Haynes

CU Boulder '27

Keeley Haynes is a first year staff writer at CU Boulder's Her Campus chapter. She reports on all things entertainment, culture, music, and politics, but loves to channel her passion into opinion pieces as well. Keeley is a freshman at CU Boulder majoring in Journalism and Political Science. She discovered her passion for the media while writing for her high school's news publication, The Range. In addition to Her Campus, Keeley is a member of the Women in Philosophy club, Community Council, and CMCI Student Government. Outside of the writing room, you will find Keeley reading, swimming, or crying to A24 flims. Her favorite and most expensive hobby is attending concerts; the best show she has attended is Taylor Swift's reputation Stadium Tour. Aside from T.S., she listens to Phoebe Bridgers, The 1975, beabadoobee, Simon & Garfunkel, and Kendrick Lamar.