books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Top tips for keeping your cool during a stressful week:

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.
  • Eat Well

Eating well will not only help you body, but your mind as well. Staying hydrated and eating your vegetables makes such a huge difference when it comes to your energy during the day and has numerous other aspects of your health. “Clean Eating” encourages stable sleep schedules, healthy weight loss, better brain function, and healthier skin. According to a study by Kansas State University, only 21% of American adults eat the daily recommended amount of vegetables. Next time you have the choice to choose between that Pad Thai or veggie stir-fry while eating out with friends, that might be an easy opportunity to slip in your daily recommended amount of veggies.    Also, at risk of sounding like your mom, don’t forget to drink plenty of water.

• Plan ahead

This can be as easy or difficult as you want. Obviously though, little steps can make a huge difference. A fun little tip that helps boost productivity on a daily basis is to wake up and decide the top 3 things you want to accomplish for that day. Try and make these goals reasonable. Though long term goals are great, they are also exhausting. The 3 little goals are meant to give you direction with your day. They should be things that are easily accomplished and take little effort. For example, these goals can be anything like “drink 16 oz of water” or even “make it to all my classes on-time.” It is all about the small victories.

• Get some fresh air

At least for me, some sunshine and a healthy dose of nature helps me step back from all the stresses in my life. It is a reminder that not everything in life is about deadlines and social pressure.  When it comes to going outside, this doesn’t even mean you have to go for a 5 mile hike or do something psychically exhausting. Simply go explore a local park or string up your hammock on the quad between classes! According to the Department of Environmental Conservation from New York State, spending time in the woods can reduce stress, lower blood pressure, boost your immune system, improve sleep, and even increase your ability to focus.

Ashley Hopko

CU Boulder

Ashley is a freelance writer and graphic designer based out of Boulder, Colorado. When not in class, she can be found serving on the executive board of Alpha Chi Omega, blogging about her many misadventures, or spending time outdoors.
Sko Buffs!