Wellness

Top 10 New Year’s Resolutions if You Don’t Have One Yet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

While you don’t need a new month on the calendar to start a new goal, it certainly helps when people may ask you what your resolutions are. This is a great time to set both short and long-term goals to improve your life, learn something new or change an aspect of your life.

1. Use your nice things all the time

This is the New Year’s resolution I didn’t know I needed. Inspired by this Tweet (above), I thought back to how many nice cups, clothes, foods and perfumes I was saving for special occasions. Yet, when those special occasions did come around, I found myself asking if this was special enough to justify use of those items. I’m feeling really inspired by this to use all my nice stuff whenever I want and make any day a special occasion.

2. Have at least 15 minutes of non-phone time before bed

We all know using our phones right before bed is bad for us, and even with the blue-light glasses, it is harmful to our circadian rhythm and mental health. Treat yourself to some more restful sleep and wake up feeling better this year. To go the extra mile, you could delete social media all together, or at least just TikTok.

3. Read one book a month

Reading is good for you, it’s fun, and it’s a great non-screen way to pass the time. What more do you need? I have always loved reading, but up until recently, I have had a hard time finding books I liked enough to finish after the first few chapters. If that’s the case for you, “Beach Read”, “People we Meet on Vacation”, “It Ends With Us” and “Just Haven’t Met You Yet” are great if romance books are your jam. These books will make it so unbelievably easy to hit that one book a month mark. In fact, I finished all of these in less than three sittings. 

4. Use a planner

I really was not a planner girl at all for years. I thought I could keep all my tasks straight in my head, no problem. Then I got to college, and you can fill in the rest from there. I am now a dedicated planner user, my one-and-only being the Muji weekly-monthly planner. They are currently sold out on the website, but there are some slightly overpriced ones on Amazon last I checked.

5. Start therapy

If everyone went to therapy, the world would be a better place, don’t you think? Even if you aren’t feeling particularly down or worried about something, having a dedicated person to talk to who has no biases about your life can be helpful. Talking through regular decisions, friendships, school or anything else on your mind could help you stay more focused in classes knowing you have a dedicated time to think about all those things. If you’re having trouble accessing or affording therapy (because it’s way harder & more expensive than it should be), check out some resources here. For CU Boulder students specifically, CAPS offers six free therapy sessions each semester for use at any time and for any reason.

6. Learn a new skill

This is actually one of my resolutions this year! I am trying to learn to whistle, but you could also start painting, coding, cocktail making, chopping vegetables into funny shapes. Whatever gets you going. Learning a new skill is fun, good for your cognitive health, and can help you whenever someone asks for a “fun fact” about yourself.

7. Drink more water

I’m looking at you, soda people. Water is good for you! And your body needs it to function! Drinking more water can help your health in almost every way imaginable. For that extra boost of motivation, get a cute water bottle to carry with you to class. I am loving my Nalgene right now, and that is coming from a former Hydroflask-only girl.

8. Stretch for five minutes a day

Here’s one that should be one of my resolutions. I love to say that if I could pay someone to take all my muscles out and fix them and then put them back, I would. Stretching for just five minutes a day can help you avoid feeling the way I do. 

9. Try a new haircut

For a more fun and adventurous resolution, you could try a new haircut you have always thought about. Do whatever you used to dream of when you were a kid. Purple and pink streaks, a crazy mohawk (even if it’s just gel), or hair down to your hips. Expressing yourself through hair is one of the easiest ways to show your personality and express yourself. Show everyone who you are in 2022. If bangs may be on the horizon for you, be sure to check out my article on what having bangs is really like.

10. Start taking vitamins

I know that if you’re reading this, you’re most likely in college, and as a result, you likely don’t have the perfect diet. That means that you could probably use a good multivitamin to keep yourself healthy, especially in times like these. I know that the giant aisle of vitamins at the grocery store is really overwhelming, but apparently, we can’t get enough vitamin D most of the year, so that could be a good vitamin to start with. 

The New Year is a great time to set goals for yourself and plan some personal growth. Any of these resolutions would be a great way to prioritize your own health and happiness in a really important way. Happy New Year even if you’re reading this in June!

Marita is HCCU's president and a senior studying operations management and marketing with a creative technology and design minor. She loves fashion, design and cooking. In her free time, she loves to go on walks and hang out with her bearded dragon, Walter!