This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

As women, we know that we are powerful. We are a force of social change and have created movements that have, quite literally, changed the course of history. Together, we are strong.

However, it can be easy to dissociate the power we have as a group from the power we have as individuals. Being an empowered, confident woman is a goal that many of us may have, but it is often far too easy to begin comparing ourselves to others’ successes and feeling as if the person we aim to be is not something we can really achieve.

Success is not something you complete in one stride. Likewise, it is often the many steps one takes in achieving their goals that truly creates the finished picture. Below are some small ways in which you can feel more like the powerful woman you really are.

Photo from Pinterest.

1. Take control of a small part of your life.

When you are used to working with someone else’s schedule, as is common when you are a student or a lower level employee, it can be really easy to feel like you don’t have a lot of control over what you choose to do or create.

One way to take back this control and make yourself feel more powerful is to find something small that you can control to impact your everyday life for the better. This can include cooking yourself a healthy meal once a day, working out (with the goal of a healthy body, not a thinner one), or even just writing very organized notes.

Personally, I know that when I try and take on every messy part of my life all at once, it usually doesn’t last. Starting small tends to be much more effective. Not only will it have benefits in and of itself but it will begin clearing the path to take on even bigger goals. Having something with clear order and direction can do wonders for a flustered mind, and even something simple such as these suggestions can help both your mental and physical health in the long term.

Photo from Pinterest.

2. Do something you’re proud of.

It is easy to feel lost on such a big campus. Without a space or a special interest you can really call your own, your sense of self is bound to take a hit. Completing projects or working towards something you can display with pride really helps to boost your self esteem as well as remind you that you are a powerful, capable individual.

Because we are all so different, the types of projects you can take on to do this are endless. You could make a habit of painting, bullet journaling, or writing articles for a magazine (@me). If these aren’t your vibe, you could try volunteering, doing research within your field, or even joining a club you love. It’s easy to feel drained sometimes with everything we already include in our busy lives. But investing yourself into something you love can help you to feel more “you”; and after all, you should be making yourself a priority in your own life.

Photo from Pinterest.

3. Have a clear goal.

This can be as big or as small as you want it to be.

Feel overwhelmed deciding your major or what you want to do with your studies? That’s okay. What matters most is that you are able to take clear steps–even if they are baby steps– towards a future you want.

If you are the type of person who loves making 5 or 10 year plans, then all the more power to you! But sometimes it is better to let yourself feel things out and make smaller, more attainable goals as you continue to grow. Even reaching smaller goals such as maintaining a weekly study schedule can help you to not only complete the tasks at hand but help you to feel more confident in the path and the person you are creating.

Photo from Pinterest.

4. Be aware of what’s outside your bubble, and put it into context.

Okay, maybe this is just because I love politics. But I believe there is a real power in being knowledgeable about the world around you. I’m not saying you have to be an expert on everything and anything in current events. However, staying up to date on issues you are passionate about not only allows you to engage in thoughtful discussion but provides a connection to others who have been similarly impacted by these events and decisions.

Regardless of if your interests are on an international scale or just what’s happening on campus, staying tuned in gives you the power to be involved and to feel engaged in the community you live in.

Photo is property of the author.

5. Make someone else feel good.

Maybe this isn’t what everyone thinks of when looking to improve themselves. The truth is that each of us hold a lot of power. That power can be used to complete massive goals and cause huge changes both in our social world and within each and every one of our fields.

But a much more overlooked use for that power is lifting up those around us. Many people suggest that surrounding yourself with supportive and influential individuals can help you to become a better person. I believe that being that person yourself can help you to not only feel better about yourself, but it also does wonders for those around us. You should strive to not only be a successful individual, but to be the person you wish you had in all those moments you were struggling.

Do yourself a favor: follow the one compliment a day rule. Every day, make sure you tell someone something about them you appreciate. Not only will it brighten their day, but the look they give you will do wonders for your soul, as well.

Photo from Pinterest.

Lydia Stalcup

CU Boulder '20

Lydia is a former Collaborations Manager for Her Campus @ CU Boulder. She is currently pursuing her BA in Sociology with a minor in Political Science and is usually stressing over her research. If she's not at her desk, you can almost always find her wandering around Boulder or snuggling with her cat, Kiwi.
Sko Buffs!