This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

I’ve dealt with skin problems since middle school. Acne, discoloration, unevenness–you name it. I’d be the first to tell that this has turned me into a bit of skincare junkie. I’ve tried just about anything and everything to help my skin. Ranging from oils to serums, moisturizers to mask; I’ve tried just about anything at least once. I love being able to look for brands that are up and coming and actually do something for your skin. That being said, I’m also really interested in looking for brands that are good for your skin. Natural skincare is having a moment and hopefully it’s here to stay. It’s time to get rid of parabens, fillers, and sulfates that can actually do more harm to your skin in the long term than actually help it. 

Over winter break I learned about January Labs from a friend. The brand is completely all natural. There are no sulfates, parabens, fragrances, or other additives. This is huge because so many mainstream products contain lots of chemicals that aren’t always very good for your skin in the long run. January Labs on the other hand helps to protect the outermost layer of the epidermis. This helps the skin to stay healthy and looking it’s best.

This is where January Labs was completely different from a ton of other brands that I’ve used. Aside from being totally natural, which I love, they’re also incredibly simple and easy to use. I can’t even name how many people I know who can go on and on with their skincare products and routines that have seemingly endless amounts of steps. January Labs simplifies that and all of their products are so easy to use and really straightforward.

I was able to get my hands on a variety of their products, and they really worked wonders for my skin. It’s the clearest my skin has been in so long. My two favorite products are the Restorative Tonic Mist and the Retexturizing Night Cream. The mist is amazing! It’s so refreshing and my skin soaks it up so quickly. It prevents breakouts, minimizes pores, and it restores a healthy pH to the skin. It smells so fresh, too. If you’re like me and discoloration is an issue, the Retexturizing Night Cream was like a miracle in a bottle. My acne scars have faded so much since I started using it, and my skin feels so smooth and even.

Natural skincare has been going through almost a renaissance lately, and it’s so exciting to see what is coming out of it. January Labs was created by January Olds, a native of Orange County California. She started experimenting with skincare when she was young, using things like avocados, olive oil, yogurt, honey, etc. She eventually went on to work for other cosmetics companies before she founded her own. It’s so exciting and refreshing to see a woman at the head of a skincare company, especially since the industry is really targeted at women in general. 

I feel like it’s so important that the people who are creating products for women understand what skincare means to women. We are taught that to be conventionally attractive that we need perfect, glowing skin. However, January Labs really stresses the side of skincare that puts health first. Maybe an all natural brand of skincare is something you’d want to try in the new year? It’s never too late to start a resolution after all!

I’m a Sophomore attending CU Boulder. I’m majoring in Communications and minoring in German Studies. I’m a very active member of my sorority, as well. Off campus, I nanny for a family in Boulder, I love hiking and being outdoors, I love dogs and have three at home, and I’m currently working on a creative journaling project.
Sko Buffs!