This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

We all know how hard it is to wake up for a dreaded 8 AM class. It’s so easy to hit snooze on your alarm, roll over, and fall back asleep. And then before you know it, you’ve woken up in a panic only to see that your clock reads 7:59 AM and your first class is half way across campus. As the days grow shorter during first semester, it gets even harder to get up because it’s pitch dark out. Below are a few tricks to help you get out of bed and take on your morning!

The first step to having a good morning is making sure you set yourself up for success the night before. Many scientists suggest reducing your intake of blue light before going to bed. This is because blue light suppresses the level of the melatonin hormone in your body, which is responsible for making you feel tired at night. The biggest culprit of blue light in your room is probably your cell phone or your other electronics. Make sure you turn off your phone, TV, or computer at least an hour before you go to bed so your body can relax and begin to produce melatonin. There’s another benefit to removing electronics from your bedtime routine. Scientists say that using your phone before bed stimulates your brain, and it could release cortisol, a stress hormone, that would prevent you from sleeping.

Now that you’ve got your bedtime routine down, let’s talk about waking up! It’s no lie that waking up early can be miserable, but it doesn’t have to be that way. One tip is that you should never hit snooze on your alarm. When you hit snooze and go back to bed, your body’s sleep cycle starts over. This means you’ll be even more tired when you wake back up, and you could be groggy for hours afterwards.

Something else that will make your morning much easier is letting lots of light into your room. This can mean letting the sunshine come through and opening up all your blinds, or this means turning on lights in your room as you get ready. Just as your body reacts to light at night by keeping you up, exposing yourself to some sunshine could make your morning much easier. This is because your circadian rhythm, better know as your body’s natural clock, is set by sunlight or, in this case, the lights in your room. By exposing your body to light, it will stop producing the melatonin that makes you feel so sleepy.

Once you’ve let the sun shine into your room, it’s time to make sure you’re hydrated. If you drink two glasses of cold water, you give your body instant energy. This also replenishes you after a long night. Also, by starting your day by getting hydrated, you’re getting rid of the chances of getting a headache, feeling tired, or feeling groggy.

Another way to help yourself wake up is to get your blood flowing. Whether you do a couple of quick jumping jacks or decide to do a quick workout, it will be beneficial to the rest of your day. By adding a little activity to your morning, you can boost your metabolism, increase your energy, and release endorphins! All of these things will put you in a much better mood for the rest of your day.

If you’re not looking to work out, meditating and practicing yoga in the morning is also a helpful tool to help you wake up. Meditating allows for you to set your intention for the day, and it lets you set a positive mood for your day. It also gives you a chance to reduce stress. Practicing yoga in the morning will get your blood moving and will energize you, so you can shake off your sleepiness!

The last tip for a better morning is taking the time to have a good breakfast. By having a healthy and nutritious breakfast, you prepare your body for the day ahead. There’s a reason it’s called the most important meal of the day! Eating breakfast dramatically improves your energy levels, helps the body regulate blood glucose concentrations, and it even helps improve your memory’s function. All of this can really help you feel more alert and present in your 8 AMs.

Hopefully these tips will help you as you wake up for your 8 AM classes, and maybe they’ll become a part of your morning routine. Remember, you control how you face the day. These are just some strategies that are meant to make your morning a little easier. Good luck and pass those 8 AMs!

I’m a Sophomore attending CU Boulder. I’m majoring in Communications and minoring in German Studies. I’m a very active member of my sorority, as well. Off campus, I nanny for a family in Boulder, I love hiking and being outdoors, I love dogs and have three at home, and I’m currently working on a creative journaling project.
Sko Buffs!