This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Ah it’s that time of year again — changing leaves, cold weather, hot chocolate, and the inevitable bane of every single person’s existence: cuffing season. If you are unfamiliar with this modern phenomenon, Urban dictionary ever so eloquently defines it as “the cold season when everyone’s coupling up, so you settle for a bf/gf way below your standards.” I would mostly agree with this provided definition, but, for me, cuffing season specifically spans the holiday period within the cold season. I’m particularly referencing that dreaded stretch from Halloween to New Years Eve, or even Valentine’s Day if you’re feeling ambitious. 

Cuffing season definitely presents a lot of pressure to the single folks who are reminded of its imminent start by the couples littered around them on campus, at the grocery store, or in line at a coffee shop. Sadly, even friends aren’t a great relief sometimes if they’re boo’d up with their special someone, and especially if they’re in the honeymoon stage. As someone who has typically been half of the annoying couple trope over the last few years, this cuffing season is hitting especially hard when there’s no longer someone to carve pumpkins, match costumes, or bake Christmas cookies with. This year, however, I am (most likely) surviving through this season single and not-so-eager to mingle.

Given this season is my first cuffing season of my young adult and college life, there are some guidelines I have already determined to ensure I manage to get through this time in one piece. One way I plan on surviving this year’s cuffing season is by surrounding myself with my friends and doing all the exciting fall events I want to do — with or without a boyfriend. This time offers so much seasonal specific fun, whether that be pumpkin picking, ice skating, or a fall day picnic full of autumnal colors. Experiencing these fun and festive fall events doesn’t have to be limited to a seasonal bae you’ll probably ditch in the springtime — but can easily be a way to have more creative fun with your friends in place of the classic kickbacks, wine nights, and parties on the weekends.

Additionally, cuffing season is no match for the comfort of some classic holiday movies seen with friends, family or even a pet. Having the absence of a significant other opens up opportunities to bond with family too. This year especially, I really plan on valuing the time I spend with my family during the holidays, since I’m  an out-of-state student who doesn’t have the chance to visit nearly often enough. I suggest taking the time to catch up with your favorite cousin, learning some family traditions for Thanksgiving, or take a deep dive into deciding the perfect Christmas present to get for your mom. While it is so easy to get worked up over lacking a wintertime partner, cuffing season provides ample opportunity to focus on other loved ones that last past the new year. 

Take the time to pursue your own interest, both academically and outside, that you may not have the time to explore during the school year. As college students our time is often stretched thin between weekly assignments, tests, extracurriculars, and downtime by ourselves or with friends. Yes, cuffing season gives newly coupled relationships time to fawn over the sparkle in each other’s eyes, but not having a boo gives time to continue working on a hobby you didn’t have time for, explore your hometown more, or get started on applications for internships, jobs, and other opportunities. Being lonely doesn’t mean you’re alone; being single during this time can actually provide a great opportunity to learn more about yourself and grow as a person. 

Whether you’re single, looking for a winter romance, recently “cuffed,” or in a committed long-term relationship, I hope this cuffing season brings you closer to your loved ones and yourself. 

Jess Rampersaud

CU Boulder '24

Jess Rampersaud is a participating writer at the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter. Aside from participating in Her Campus at CU Boulder, Jess has interned this past summer in NYC for a Professional Services firm. She has previously worked with the University of Colorado at Boulder Student Government from 2021-2023 as Intern Director and Health & Safety Chair. Jess has also volunteered as a Peer Mentor her sophomore year of college through Mentor Collective to help freshmen adjust to college settings. She attended school in her hometown in Westchester NY before coming to CU to study English Literature and Psychology with a Presidential Scholarship. Jess is the ultimate foodie and loves all things related to travel. Some of her several interests include playing tennis and soccer, ice skating, hanging with friends, making playlists, and cooking or baking. This is her last semester writing for Her Campus before she graduates in December 2023.