This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

We’ve all been there. Most college students know the feeling of walking out of a lecture hall, filled with disappointment. Chances are you’ve encountered some hard classes along the way and if you’re new to college, you’re probably more overwhelmed. You’re not alone! Most people get through hard classes as long as they learn how to recover.

Practice some self-care.

What’s done is done. At this point, there’s nothing you can do to change your midterm grade. Instead, get the rest that you need. You just took an exhausting exam and you’re probably really tired. You can also order some takeout to your dorm to celebrate the fact that it’s over. Do a face mask or take a bath. You can relax now.

Listen to your body.

How are you feeling? It’s harder to concentrate on your health when you’re anxious and stressed before a midterm exam. You might be starving and sleep-deprived. You might have had a cold or a headache that you haven’t noticed the whole time. Do a body scan meditation (I personally like Insight Timer) and focus on where you feel tense. Neglecting your health is a surefire way to tank a test because your body is too busy trying to prioritize basic functions to be able to think cohesively.

Ask your peers how they felt about it.

There’s no need to feel stupid if your test seemed literally impossible to comprehend! Your friends probably found it hard as well. Most of your classmates are in the same position as you as long as they’re doing what they’re supposed to – reading the textbook, going to classes, doing the homework, going to office hours, etc. All of the work that you put into it wasn’t sufficient preparation for your exam so why would it be any different for your classmates? It helps to know that you weren’t the only one who struggled. It also might indicate a curve on the test.

If it’s possible, see what you missed.

Now that you feel a bit better about it emotionally, ask your TA if you can see the problems that you missed. You’ll be able to fully understand the material before moving on to new material. You’ll have a stronger foundation for the upcoming units if the class material builds on top of itself.

Go to office hours.

This one might be obvious but if you’re seriously struggling with the class you can always head to office hours. The professors, TAs, and LAs for your class would love to answer any questions you may have. On top of that, they might show you different approaches or learning styles that they might not cover in class.

Learn what you can do differently

Everyone has a unique learning style. If you don’t learn anything from readings but it takes up hours in your workweek, don’t do them. There are plenty of YouTube videos and lecture recordings to help you out. You may find that you’ve been studying the wrong way the whole time. If you learn more effectively you’ll relieve stress and do better on your midterm!

So girl, don’t let one test get you down. Be the badass you are and keep marching on.

Maya Douglas

CU Boulder '22

Maya is a senior at CU Boulder studying computer science and philosophy. In her free time, you'll find her listening to music on campus or going out with her friends.
Sko Buffs!