How to Decorate Your New Space for the Semester (Without Breaking Your Bank Account)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

School is back in session, and with a new year comes a new space. Whether you’re moving into a new apartment for the first time or getting ready to settle back into a dorm, a new space can make or break the start of your school year. If you don’t have the budget to totally deck out your new living space with the hottest dorm accessories, don’t worry. Living as a broke college student doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice your aesthetic. Check out these hot spots that can take your new room to a whole other level – without making your bank account cry.

1. Target

Target is my personal weakness. I know I’m not alone – everyone goes into Target with a list of things they need, and more often than not, they come out with much more than they anticipated buying. Luckily, Target is a staple go-to for dorm basics. If you’re concerned about getting everything you need for your first dorm room, or even if you’re just looking for some staple pieces to bring your room to life, this is an easy first place to look. And the deals are too good to pass up.

1. H&M

You may have heard of H&M as a great place for wardrobe basics, but have you seen their home decor selection? If not, go to their website and scan for some awesome deals on apartment and dorm room staples that will give your space a sophisticated and minimalist aesthetic. You can score awesome decor that looks much more expensive than it actually is.

1. Dormify

If you’ve ever stalked Instagram for decorating inspo, there’s a good chance you’ve stumbled across a Dormify ad. Although they are a bit pricier than my previous examples, there are definitely good deals if you look hard enough for them. Plus, they’ve recently partnered with American Eagle to give your room an aesthetic like none other.

1. Walmart

You might be questioning why I included Walmart, but don’t knock it before you try it. Walmart is known far and wide for having the best prices, and this extends to dorm and apartment essentials as well. If you’re in search of good quality basics like sheets and pillows, this is an obvious choice, but they’ve got some cute pieces that can pull a room together for just as good of a price.

1. Redbubble

Looking to show off your more creative side? Redbubble offers thousands of designs from thousands of different artists that will ensure your room has a look like nobody else. They sell everything from wall clocks to posters to duvet covers and more, and most artists will offer their designs on tons of different products for reasonable prices. If you’re in search of uniqueness, look no further.

1. TJ Maxx & HomeGoods

Personally, I would live in a TJ Maxx if I could. They’ve got everything I could ask for at the best prices I’ve ever seen, from designer products to basic wardrobe staples that I can never get enough of. Many of their locations are conjoined with HomeGoods, which is basically a bargain store for all the cutest home decor you could ask for. Plus, they constantly have deals going on that can help you save a couple of bucks while still decorating your room to the maxx (no pun intended).

It’s hard to create a space that you love on a college student budget. However, there are tons of options for you to decorate your space without breaking your bank account. A good space can mean a more focused and zen area for you to relax and work in after a long day of classes, and everyone needs somewhere they can get away. Decorating is a breeze with these six options, and with the deals and sales they have to offer, you don’t have to blow all your money to make your new space for the semester really feel like home.

Madison Sinsel

CU Boulder '21

Madison is currently a sophomore at CU Boulder, working towards a major in the CMCI school in Strategic Communications on the media design track as well as a minor in fine art. She's been a HerCampus writer since her freshman year, and this year she is also lucky to be an Aerie Ambassador for CU's campus and a Barre3 ambassador for the Boulder studio. At CU Boulder, Madi is focusing on learning graphic design and illustration and has plans to one day become an artistic director and tattoo artist. She's had a love for writing since she was three years old, and is thrilled to be a part of the HerCampus community. Her passions include theatre, matcha lattes, and reading people's tarot cards at parties.
Sko Buffs!