This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Registration for spring is coming up soon. With the looming threat of another online semester, it might be a good idea to load up on some elective credits and save the important classes for a more natural campus experience. Here are some of the elective classes that have been offered in the past that are easy, fun, and anyone can take!

MDST 1002 – “Introduction to Social Media”

This class is an introductory media studies course that goes over the basics of social media, why we post what we do, and consumer culture online. I took this class with the new head of media studies Rick Stevens and it was a great class. The tests were easy as long as you paid attention and knew the vocabulary and it wasn’t a ton of work.

COMM 2400 – “Discourse, Cultures, and Identities”

Even though communication is my major so I’m a little partial to the classes, this is a class that I would recommend to anyone in any major. I know friends that have taken it as an elective and loved it. It is fun and really changes your perspective on everyday interactions you have as you go through life. This one is easy and manageable, but it’s also interesting and informative.

ITAL 1500 – “That’s Amore: Introduction to Italian Culture”

Are you interested in Italy? This class seems like a good place to start learning! The cultures of other countries are always interesting and learning about them is a good way to spend your time. According to Reddit on r/cuboulder this class has a light course load and is super interesting.

WGST 2050 – “Gender, Sexuality, and Popular Culture”

Women and gender studies have always interested me personally, and I feel that they are important for our current political and social climate. These classes are generally informative and easy as far as work goes. They are really good about broadening the perspective.

SOCY 2044 – “Crime and Society”

I know a lot of us spend time listening to “True crime” podcasts, watching serial killer documentaries, and enjoying tv shows that are about crime and the criminal justice system, so why not take a class about it? I’m currently taking a similar class in media studies: “Crime, Media, and Contemporary Culture”, however, I believe this class will no longer be available after this semester. I plan on taking this class another semester because it’s super fascinating and it makes me want to learn!

Finding classes can be difficult, I hope this helps to put people on the right path for setting up their spring semester. CU has some really cool classes, and some even cooler professors, so sit back, do some research, and find out how to make your schedule light, fun, and entertaining. 

Kaitland is the Social Media Director for the chapter. She is a junior here at CU Boulder, studying Communication with minors in Spanish and Media Studies. Journalism is a fun hobby of hers and her favorite things to write about are: fashion, social issues and lifestyle. On campus, Kaitland is part of CMCI and the Dean Scholars. In Boulder you can find her at your local aesthetic coffee shop, trying out cool new restaurants, and saying hi to the local fauna.
Sko Buffs!