Five Healthy, Delicious, and Easy Meals for College Students That Hate Cooking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

If you’re anything like me, the thought of having to cook makes you want to cry. For some, it’s relaxing, while for others, such as myself, it is a stressful and unenjoyable process. This year I have had to put on my “big girl shoes” and learn how to cook for myself. With the help of my trusty pressure cooker and my wonderful mom (seriously, I wouldn’t know any of this without her so shoutout to you, mom), I have compiled a handful of recipes that keep me satisfied and don’t make me want to roll up into a ball and cry when I have to cook them. Most of them are made in a pressure cooker, but there are definitely methods out there for making them in the oven or on the stove. Here are the recipes.

Baked Salmon

This salmon is so flavorful and easy to make. I usually buy frozen fish filets in bulk from Whole Foods, and I’m sure you could find them at your local grocery store. About five hours before you’re planning on making your salmon, take it out of the freezer and leave it out to defrost. When you are ready to eat it, preheat the oven to 350ºF and start prepping your salmon. Lay it out on a piece of parchment paper with a little bit of oil on it and squeeze out some lemon juice onto the salmon. Then, slice one-two cloves of garlic into smaller pieces and stick them into the salmon. Season it with salt and pepper and stick it in the oven for about 10-12 minutes. This salmon tastes great with a salad, some pasta, and probably anything else your heart desires.

Quinoa “Salad”

This quinoa “salad” is filling, spicy, and straight-up delicious. I usually soak my quinoa in water overnight before I make it. When I am ready to start cooking, I put it in my pressure cooker and it’s done in about 10 minutes. To prepare the “salad” for eating, squeeze some lemon juice into the quinoa and season it with chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Then, cut up a few cherry tomatoes and top the quinoa with them. Enjoy!

Oatmeal

Pressure cooker oatmeal is seriously the best oatmeal I have ever had and it requires minimal effort to make. I put it in there for two minutes on high pressure, and then I keep it in there on the “warm” setting for an extra 10-15 minutes. After it’s cooked, I add some pecans and berries to it, although you can add literally whatever you want. It is so good and filling and can be a great breakfast, lunch, or dinner!

Ground Turkey Tacos

This meal is delicious, versatile, and so easy to make. I have followed this recipe a few times and I’ve been extremely satisfied with it. The ground turkey is so good on tortillas with some avocado and salsa, on top of quinoa, or with some vegetables. I highly recommend it.

Chicken Fajitas

Once again, for these fajitas, I follow a recipe. These are so easy to make in the pressure cooker and even though I don’t really do anything, I feel like a chef when I make them. I love them on tortillas with avocado and salsa, or just by themselves.

I hope that I have given you some inspiration for easy meals if you hate cooking, and if you try them, I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

Masha Gradushy

CU Boulder '22

Masha is the Editor-in-Chief of HCCU and is a senior at CU Boulder majoring in Finance. When she's not doing school work or writing articles, you can probably find her working out, drinking an iced coffee, or scrolling through TikTok. She hopes you enjoy her content!
Sko Buffs!