This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Daylight saving time is around the corner. Spring forward is more detrimental to our wellbeings than fall back. As many of us dread losing an extra hour of sleep halfway through the semester, following these helpful tips will make or break your day. 

Set your clocks forward an hour on March 11 before falling asleep.

Set your non-electronic clocks forward an hour on March 11 to ensure you aren’t late the next day or have a stressful morning. You can even set it ahead an hour and five minutes to give you buffer time.

Go to bed early.

This will be key. Go to bed one hour earlier than you normally would to make sure you don’t actually lose an hour of sleep. 

Stay out later on the 12th, get excited for that extra hour of daylight.

After the clocks have switched, enjoy the extra hour of daylight by going up to Flagstaff or a pretty place to celebrate. Or, if you’re ambitious, do a long hike to watch the sunset over the city of Boulder, or wherever your home may be. 

Have a caffeinated drink next to your bed for the morning, or set aside time to make one.

If you’re like me, losing sleep means more caffeine. Have a tea or energy drink next to your bed for the morning or set aside time to make coffee to make sure you are awake for that early morning Zoom class.

Relax before falling asleep.

Having a hard time falling asleep early? Try laying in bed 30 minutes before to make sure you are tired before you fall asleep. Maybe watch a movie or try counting sheep! If you’re a bath enthusiast like me, run to the store to get some bath bombs to help get you sleepy before bed.

Do homework ahead of time.

As a procrastinator myself, I struggle with getting homework done ahead of time. But trust me on this one, you’re going to want to plan. It’s going to be a Friday, so try to get as much homework done as possible for next week!

Hopefully, these tips will help you have successful daylight saving on March 12. Your wellbeing and mental health are depending on it. Make sure to plan and get lots of sleep to start your weekend off right. You’ve got this!

Olivia McKeen

CU Boulder '24

Olivia is a contributing writer for Her Campus CU Boulder. She is a freshman majoring in Marketing and hoping to get a certificate in social responsibility and ethics. In her free time, she enjoys going on adventures, going on hikes, and hanging out with friends and loved ones.
Sko Buffs!