This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Are you tired, overwhelmed, and don’t know what to do about it? Same! Feeling the effects of burnout is uncomfortable and exhausting, but it’s nothing you can’t handle. I think there are a lot of people in the same boat, whether it’s due to being away from family and friends or navigating online classes for the first time. I have been feeling burnt out for the last few months, and I’m hoping this article can give you ways to deal with it, or at least comfort you in knowing that you aren’t alone!

Reach out.

When dealing with burnout, you can feel lonely at times. It is so important to reach out to the people around you if you need support, or make sure they know that you’re there for them too. No one likes to admit they’re struggling, so feeling the effects of burnout can be isolating. But, it doesn’t have to be! Setting up a Zoom game night with your friends, or having a weekly FaceTime catchup with them can make this experience a little easier. And of course, if you are really struggling and need to seek professional help, or a neutral third party to talk to, there is no shame in getting the help you need at the moment.

Schedule time for yourself.

School can be exhausting even without a pandemic on top of it. This year, our workspace has bled into our living space so relaxation has proven to be more difficult than usual. By now, you have a schedule that you stick to on school days. For me, I’ve found it very helpful to dedicate a certain amount of time each day to do something that doesn’t involve school. Journaling, making breakfast, taking a bath, etc. A little moment each day to remind you to look after yourself and to take a moment to breathe. It slowly becomes a part of your schedule, and if you have a particularly rough day, it can be something you can always look forward to.

Get dressed.

This isn’t going to be a lengthy paragraph, but getting dressed truly has made a huge impact on my productivity. If I’m in my pajamas all day, I won’t do anything. Maybe that’s just me, or maybe you can relate to this too! You don’t have to wear uncomfortable clothes, but putting on a fresh outfit makes things feel a bit less overwhelming and puts me in a better mood. This could be the thing you look forward to doing every morning.

Rest.

Rest is productivity. We as humans need to rest, and when you feel burnout it won’t go away by “powering through”. I think burnout actually comes from me trying to power through when I really need to rest. So, go to bed at a normal time, and wake up with the hope for a new day. 

Take some time for yourself, reach out, rest. Looking out for yourself is so important when you feel burnt out. I promise you will not fall behind, and we will all get through this together.

Emma D'Arcy

CU Boulder '22

Emma is a junior at CU Boulder studying Communications, and the Director of Chapter Branding for Her Campus CU Boulder. Outside of school, you can find her at a local coffee shop, the farmers market, or writing her latest article!
Sko Buffs!