Hallmark Her20s Hero Image?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Hallmark Her20s Hero Image?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media Design Team
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

As people in a society full of burnout, we seldom have time to relax and get in touch with our senses. We push away our feelings to move on, but forget that there are so many mediums to express ourselves. Below is a selection of outlets that you can do to help yourself de-stress, come to terms with how you’re feeling, and reflect on the course of life you are on. 

Write something.

Writing is an outlet that is so important to me, whether it’s scribbling up a couple of words in anger, or tearfully writing a two-word poem, writing has always been an outlet I can rely on, and so can you. All you need is a writing utensil and paper or electronic, relax in a space you feel most safe or comfortable, and just write what pops into your mind, even if it’s just a combination of unrelated words you’ll be able to feel the release as each word lands on the page.

Paint everything.

Painting is one of the most common forms of art and expression, and if you’re a visual person, this could be especially helpful for you. The painting will allow you to use your imagination and tap into what you’re feeling through colors, shapes, and angles. All you need is a paintbrush and any type of paint you can get your hands on (dollar store has great paint, brushes, and canvases if you’re on a budget).

Sing your heart out.

Now I’ve never been one to sing, but when I belted out “Driver’s License” with a group of friends at the top of my lungs, I felt a weight come off me. So grab your phone turn up one of your favorite songs and just sing it at the top of your lungs like nobodies watching. Not only will this release tension you’ve been holding in but you might just find out your a really good singer.

Listen to your favorite songs.

Some people say listening to music is a lifestyle, and I absolutely agree. Adding a soundtrack to a moment can help to heal or create even more joy, it can also work the other way around, but overall, listening to music is a good way to calm down and let yourself flow with the melody. All you need is a device that plays music, stable internet, and headphones or an empty space.

Act out your favorite movies.

Now, this may be difficult, and you might feel uncomfortable if you’re not used to it, but it’s important to allow yourself to have fun and be creative. Acting in your favorite scenes requires nothing but you and your camera or recording device (you don’t have to record it if you don’t want to). But spending time just acting and being expressive can help you be more empathetic towards others and yourself and you collectively perform each role and understand the burdens within their identities.

Lately, a lot of stress has been surrounding all of us and we need to take time off. Not only to heal but to come to terms with the events taking place around and us. 

Ornella Musinguzi

CU Boulder '24

Ornella is a freshman and a writer for hercampus CU Boulder. She is majoring in Political Science, with a minor in leadership studies and philosophy. She likes to write about current events and news.
Sko Buffs!