jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

8 Ways to Deal With Depression

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

Depression is a scary feeling, no matter how extreme. Almost every Cornell student will probably experience feelings of depression at some point. Here are some tips I’ve learned from my personal experiences with depression.

1. Know that it’s okay to ask for help

Remember that you’re not alone. There are many resources on campus and people who would be more than willing to talk to you. We have a great peer counseling service in EARS (Empathy, Assistance and Referral Service), as well as CAPS (Counseling & Psychological Services) at Gannett Health Services if you’re seeking professional help. No problem is too big or too small.

2. Surround yourself with positivity

You may want to avoid all humanity and cuddle under your blankets, but it may just add to your sadness. Stay in public places. Being around others might lift your spirits.

3. Exercise

Take a walk. Hit the gym. Do some yoga. Although exercising may be the last thing on your mind when you’re feeling stressed, it’s a naturally good stress-reliever, releasing endorphins that make you feel good afterwards. Plus, taking care of yourself will be beneficial to you in the long run.

4. Stay grateful

This is perhaps the most important mindset to have if you’re feeling a bit down. Take in your surroundings. Notice how beautiful our campus is. Think of how lucky you are to be at one of the best universities in the world. Appreciate the little things. Thank that person who waited the extra second to hold open the door for you.

5. Take advantage of the sunny days

At Cornell, we’re lucky if we see the sun once a week during the short winter days. However, when the sun does come out, soak it all in. Being in sunlight is a natural mood-booster.

6. Find a club or group on campus that shares your interests

Humans naturally seek a sense of belonging. Joining a club will give you a place you can enjoy yourself at least for some part of the week.

7. Treat yourself

Take breaks. Buy that pair of shoes you’ve been eyeing for the past year. Remember that you’ve been through a lot, and you deserve rewards.

8. Take it day by day

You don’t have to think long term. Each day is a new start. Getting through each day is a success.

Remember, you are loved, and there’s nothing you can’t get through!   

Molly Zhang is a sophomore at Cornell University studying Applied Economics and Management. 
Elizabeth Li

Cornell '19

Junior at Cornell University and President/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Cornell