This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Connecticut College has many aspects that make it unique among its NESCAC peers and among institutions of higher education both nationally and internationally. One of these distinguishing features is the funded internship provided by the Office of Career and Professional Development during the summer after a student’s junior year at the college. Many companies and organizations do not allot resources to paying interns, so the $3,000 from the college provides countless opportunities to students to pursue their dream internship without the burden of having to worry about how to finance it. The funded internship program is part of a four-year comprehensive program that prepares students for life after Conn. Many students have taken advantage of this opportunity, and with each year, more students participate in interesting and inspiring internships. With the spring semester soon coming to a close, it is the perfect time to feature some of Conn’s current juniors and their internship plans for the summer. Check out these ambitious women!

Mollie Dimise:

1. What will you be doing?

I will be a field technician responsible for spraying for mosquitos, setting mosquito traps, collecting mosquitos from all over Berkshire County, and determining what types of mosquitos are present and the diseases they carry.

2. Where is it?

Pittsfield, MA

3. With whom will you be working?

I will be working with the superintendent of the Berkshire County Mosquito Control Project as well as two other field technicians for the summer to get an idea of the mosquito populations of Berkshire County.

4. For what are you most excited?

Because I am from Pittsfield, MA, I’m most excited to study what is actually going on in local ecosystems! I’ve lived here all of my life, and it will be interesting to see what is going on at the insect level. I am also excited to practice more lab techniques and I’m glad that I’ll be working both outside in the field and in a lab, this way I won’t be stuck inside all summer.

Lindsey Nelson:

1. What will you be doing?

I will be assisting with research on Play in Education, Development, and Learning (PEDaL). This program, sponsored by the Lego Foundation, fosters research in how playfulness is related to and predictive of “critical thinking, problem-solving, interpersonal abilities, emotional resilience and creativity,” all of which are widely acknowledged as being foundational and instrumental for successful lifelong learning.

2. Where is it?

This summer, I have been granted the exciting opportunity to travel to the University of Cambridge in Cambridge, England.

3. With whom will you be working?

I will be working with researchers Dr. Sara Baker and Dr. Audrey Kittridge, under the direction of Dr. David Whitebread.  Dr. Baker is a friend and colleague of Professor Loren Marulis, a Martha Bennett ’73 Assistant Professor of Human Development here at Connecticut College, who is currently studying metacognitive skills and behaviors at the Connecticut College Children’s Program. I have had the opportunity to work alongside her very closely since the start of my sophomore year and through last summer as a research assistant.

4. For what are you most excited?

I am very excited to participate in a project that aligns so well with my interests. It’s just a bonus that it’s at the University of Cambridge, which has been a dream school of mine ever since I first visited when I was twelve. I have a lot of family in Northern England and so feel a sense of connection with England’s beautiful countryside and old fashioned architecture. Most importantly, however, I look forward to the inevitable growth that I will gain from this experience, both personally and academically.

Charlotte Sawyer:

1. What will you be doing?

I will be doing sales and marketing for Cider Mill Press.  I will be reaching out to clients and possible buyers such as Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie, and other local stores looking to sell gift books.

2. Where is it?

Kennebunkport, ME

3. With whom will you be working?

It is a small company so I think I will have the opportunity to work with each member of the team; however, I will be working most closely with their sales department.

4. For what are you most excited?

I’m most excited to be busy! They have a lot of work for me to do and, I will be given a lot of responsibility which is really exciting!

Marisa Bryant:

1. What will you be doing?

I will be interning in The Francis Laboratory at UMass Medical this summer! I am an assistant researcher on the mechanisms of synapse development, function and dysfunction in C. elegans. I am interested in going to UMass for medical school and thought it would be extremely beneficial for me to search for a summer internship opportunity there. I met with a previous member of the UMass Med admissions board who advised me to do research to round out my med school application. I read about each department at UMass Med and reached out to the contacts for those departments that interested me

2. Where is it?

Worcester, MA

3. With whom will you be working?

I will be working closely with two graduate students and the rest of their research team. Besides the two graduate students I will be working closely with, there are 4 other researchers conducting experiments on different aspects of this same topic. I know I will learn a lot from these meetings each week, as I will be presenting some of my research findings to the team throughout the summer.

4. For what are you most excited?

One of the aspects of this internship I am most excited for is sitting in on the research team meetings every Monday. I am also extremely excited to simply be in a professional research lab setting. I have only experienced academic labs in conjunction with lectures at Conn, so I cannot wait to go through this opportunity with professionals who conduct research as their occupation.

Carolyn Cross is a junior at Connecticut College and is excited to be the Campus Correspondent for the fall! She is a Sociology major and a Psychology minor. She also plays club soccer and is in Habitat for Humanity at Conn.
Her Campus Conn Coll