This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

As we just keep getting busier and busier, it seems harder than ever to find ways to prioritize sleep. But sleep is a must. Is there really anything worse than waking up delirious and groggy and having to jump right into (ok, log righ into) class? Trying to get the eight hours of sleep, or more if possible, is crucial to feeling refreshed and energized, and the key to having a productive ways. Although everyone has a differnet sleep schedule that works for them, here are some ways to make sure that you make the most out of bedtime. 

Have Some Downtime Before Bed

My biggest issue with sleep in college so far has been getting good quality sleep.  I often get to bed at a decent hour that will give me 8-9 hours of sleep.  My struggle, though, is in falling asleep and staying asleep.  It does not matter how early I get to bed if I am not able to get at least 8 hours of quality sleep.  I have found that the biggest thing keeping me up at night are my racing thoughts.  When I shut my eyes and try to fall asleep, I am normally bombarded with tons of thoughts:  I think about all of the work that I have to do the coming day, what classes I have and, just in general, what my schedule is for the next day.  At the beginning of the semester, I would work right up until I decided to sleep.  Recently, to help with my poor sleep quality, I have stopped schoolwork about an hour before I want to sleep.  I fill out my planner with all the things I hope to accomplish in the coming day in an attempt to get those thoughts out of my head. Then I relax.  I usually make a cup of tea and then watch some netflix or read a book (one that is not for a class).  I have found that when I relax before bed, I am less likely to have difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep.

– Sarah Hennig, ’24

Know When You Work Best and Plan Your Sleep Accordingly

One of my best tips to prioritize sleep, especially during busy times in the semester, is to be honest with yourself about when you are able to get work done. I know that I am NOT a morning person, and waking up any earlier than 9:30 to do something that isn’t class or a team workout is just not an option. I also function a lot better if I have plenty of time in the morning to wake up. Instead of going to bed early and waking up early to finish my work, I know that I need to push through and get my work done the night before to allow myself to have that time in the morning to sleep in. I will always try to submit assignments the night before so that I don’t wake up in a panic thinking I missed the deadline. To make it easier to fall asleep, I recommend shutting down the screens about an hour before going to sleep, (I usually turn off my computer right after I’m finished working), maybe dimming a few lights, and having a good nighttime routine. If you find it hard to sleep in complete silence, I really like using the Calm app. It has “sleep stories” which are basically bedtime stories for adults. They’re about 30 minutes long, but I’ve never stayed awake long enough to hear the end of any of them! My final tip for getting better sleep is to never have coffee after 3pm. You will find it so much easier to relax in the evening if your system is free from caffeine!

– Ellie Wagner, ’23

Create a Nighttime Routine (One with Limited Screen Time)

I will be honest when I say that this semester in particular has been difficult to prioritize my sleep schedule over staying ahead on work, watching The Handmaid’s Tale, and making my way through a very long list of books I want to read. But, as we begin module two, I have made a promise to myself to prioritize sleep and wellness to avoid further burnout. For me, establishing a consistent nighttime routine helps my body prepare for bedtime. I end my day by putting on pjs, washing my face, scrolling through Instagram, watching a little Youtube or Netflix, doing some basic stretches to relax my body, and then curling up into bed with a book. This has pretty much been my nighttime routine since high school, but what has helped me most is cutting back on screen time before bed. Setting up screen time restrictions on your iPhone (settings, screentime, downtime/app limits) has not only helped lower any racing thoughts I have while trying to fall asleep, but also helped with screen fatigue, especially in the time of Zoom University. My last tip is to decide on a specific time when you want to shut your laptop and stop working or watching Netflix. Stick to this time and, with each day, try to shut your computer a little earlier, even just five minutes, so eventually you will be going to bed earlier rather than later. I am definitely more of a morning person than a night owl, so this may be different for everyone, but I find going to bed early and waking up at a reasonable time makes me feel more refreshed.

– Elizabeth Berry, ’21

Sweet dreams camels!

Elizabeth Berry

Conn Coll '21

Elizabeth Berry is an English and Italian Studies double major at Connecticut College with a passion for journalism. She enjoys overnight oats, traveling to new cities, and reading the night away.
Ellie Wagner

Conn Coll '23

Ellie Wagner is a Government major and American Studies minor at Conn College. She is also on the Mock Trial team and a part of The College Voice.
Sarah Hennig

Conn Coll '24

Sarah Hennig is a junior at Conn who loves to read and write. She enjoys hiking, traveling, and spending time with her friends.
Her Campus Conn Coll