Wellness > Mental Health

Winter Wellness: Tips to Help Cope with the Wintertime Blues / Seasonal Affective Disorder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

January greets us with a fresh start to the year and new goals to achieve, but this time of the year can also be very difficult. During the winter months, the days become shorter and darker and temperatures quickly drop and it can be hard to maintain energy, stamina and moods. It’s not always easy to navigate this seasonal change as weather does affect our moods and mental health. For many, this dealing with depression in the winter is known as Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).

The Canadian Mental Health Association defines Seasonal Affective Disorder as a kind of depression that appears at certain times of the year. SAD is most common during the winter months, although it can affects people in the summer months as well. While there is no definite cause, it is thought that the that the lack of sunlight that comes with the winter months can cause a seasonal depression. Some symptoms include appetite changes, chronic fatigue, low motivation, sadness and loss of interest in activities.

I struggled with SAD for several years in high school and found some tricks to help get me through the winter months that I may be beneficial to others.

Spend more time outside

This may seem a bit counterintuitive when the last thing we often want to do is go outside when we’re feeling down or depressed by the cold weather. If you can spend even 10 extra minutes outside a day (or evening), your body and body and mind will start to better acclimate to the coldness and lack of sunlight. Besides, exercise naturally raises your endorphins and may help you embrace the cold weather. Try incorporating some physical exercise outside like skiing, skating ice hockey or snowshoeing. Seeing all the fun activities that the winter has to offer helped myself (and others) to enjoy this time of year.

Find fun inside

Beyond getting more outdoor time, there are many ways to manage SAD inside as well.

A really simple tip is simply sitting closer to a window or keeping blinds open at home to absorb as much sunlight and vitamin D as possible.

For many, the hardest parts of winter come during the cold nights where there is no sunlight. If you are home in the evening, try adding some fun into up your evening routines to help you feel better. This could be as simple as listening to a podcast, streaming a funny movie, lighting a nice candle or trying a new recipe.

Happy lights

If you don’t have access to a lot of natural sunlight, investing in happy light a great way to help cope with SAD. These lamps mimic natural sunlight and trigger our skin to produce Vitamin D. These lights provide a well-lit, but natural looking and feeling light source and can be easily placed in your home or office. Amazon also offers a wide range of happy lights suitable for a variety of budgets.

It is crucial that you do not self-diagnose yourself with SAD or any other condition and should always meet with your doctor or healthcare provider to assess symptoms and causes. However, it is important to discuss a spectrum of ways that our physical environments and weather affect us. Mental health affects us all and encouraging these conversations helps provide support, knowledge and decrease stigmatization.

Edited by: Ashley Cohen  

Faith Orr

Concordia CA '19

Faith Orr is a Campus Correspondent at Concordia University in Montreal. She is in her final year of studies, specializing in French to English Translation with a minor Women’s Studies. She is originally from a small farming town in Vermont, U.S. but has planted her new roots in Montreal. She has a passion for feminism and LGBTQ activism. In her free time, Faith enjoys studying astrology (#TeamVirgo) and learning about holistic health and medicine.
Kami Katopodis

Concordia CA '19

President of HC Concordia • Poet • Major in Human Relations • Minor in Diversity in the Contemporary World •