harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What my first year at University has taught me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

The first week of university was amazing- it was Frosh week. I met new people, I was drinking for three days straight, and I discovered many student associations- it was just a great time. I seriously thought these three days would be representative of my three years in university; all fun and games. I’ve never been more wrong of my life.

Little did I know, my life was going to turn upside down. Procrastination hit me hard and right in the face, unanticipated midterms and finals turned me into a mad woman (I had nervous laughs, I was frustrated, stressed, and had mental breakdowns.) I had no idea of how to get eight hours of sleep. With all my classes, thirty minutes to an hour’s worth of exercise per day, working part-time and fulfilling my hopes of joining an association, I was a mess. But at least I learned.

My first year at university has taught me to get organized. It is impossible to balance everything when my time is poorly distributed. With only 24 hours in a day in which I must sleep eight hours or else I’ll be very grumpy, time management is extremely important. I actually have two agendas: a daily one and a monthly one. I plan my day the night before or in the morning by listing the things I have to get done. It gives me a sense of achievement when I tick it off the list and I also find myself much more productive.

This semester I also learned to give myself some me time. Ever since the midterms of fall 2016, I forced myself to study, study, and study some more to improve my grades. However, I only saw negative results from this tactic. It was very tiring and boring. So, I learned to give myself at least one night every week to do nothing, watch some Netflix and just relax. I realized that I have no obligation to study every night. Sometimes taking a break from everything is what helps me achieve more and keeps me sane.

University made me realize the importance of being well-surrounded. During my down period, I had extremely good friends who have helped me go through them. I was never alone and could always count on my family and friends to listen to my endless rants which probably makes them even more stressed than they already are. Knowing that someone else is in the same situation as me is reassuring and comforting; it made me feel better. I couldn’t possibly appreciate my friends and family more.

Most importantly, I learned not to give up. My first semester wasn’t representative of my program. I expected my courses to be more appealing. I wasn’t really interested and didn’t put in a lot of effort either. My first semester was quite the disaster. But this semester, things got better. I had one class I was actually interested in and that was in my field of study. I got better grades and was in a happier mood. The road towards something great may be bumpy at times but it will get better because we learn from our mistakes and find tips and tricks along the way. Overall, university has helped me grow as a person which I am very grateful for. 

Jenny Truong

Concordia CA

Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.