Three Types of Electives to Boost your GPA this Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

When choosing an elective, you need to keep in mind a very important factor: your GPA. Your elective classes should elevate your grade point average, not drain your energy away from your program classes. Although we have the tendency to focus on choosing the best classes in our program, it is equally important we sign in as soon as possible for the elective classes that will make our semester feel lighter. By choosing an easy elective you gain both in time and stress management! I have separated your ideal picks into three categories from which you can make a well-thought decision:*

1. Artistic electives

Artistic electives who are targeted to students with minimal experiences are extremely fun to take. Not only do they have less reading, they also promise lesser paperwork. Usually, for drama classes, your assignments will be either short presentations that can be scrambled together the night before or personal reflections (need I say more?). In intro classes, you are taught the basics of any art craft so there is no worries to have about “experience.” Most students from outside programs are pretty much there for the GPA boosting!

(Excerpts of available classes in Concordia: TPER201, THEA316, FFAR398B, ARTH298, ARTH271, ENGL224)

1. Science electives

Scientific electives are very interesting. I once took a biomedical class that taught us all about the legal aspects of medical assistance. It was a  subject I would have probably never touched on if it was not for that class. If you are a student studying humanities or fine art, those electives are a nice variation from your everyday education routine.

Classes at Concordia: CHEM208, INTE275, FASS291, INTE290, EXCI251, CHEM198AA, GEOL208

1. General knowledge and random knowledge electives

This may sound like a vague category and that’s because it is. The general knowledge category is an open door to choose a class that genuinely sparks your interest. These classes are usually random, unique and exciting all at once. The idea behind choosing a class for general knowledge is that you just “want to know about that topic” or “feel it would be cool to be more familiar with.”  Languages, history, marketing, theology and film studies are usually the right departments to start digging into.

Classes at Concordia: THEO204, THEO203, THEO206, COMS360, COMS304, POLI214, POLI216, RELI378, RELI394, INST250 (Online), PSYC235, FINA230

** Be sure to verify the availability of the classes for the chosen semesters as well as their availability online or in person.

Annabelle is a wine enthusiast who is currently completing her undergrad diploma in Communication studies. When she is not writing for HerCampus, she is basically being a super boss and handling five other hats: radio show host, a social media content creator, event planner and youth parish leader. All of that is possible because half of her blood type if Caffeine+
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.