Meet the Her Campus Concordia Team – Alexandra Fillion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Name: Alexandra Fillion

Major: Marketing

Why did you choose Concordia? I wanted to study in English, and JMSB is the best English business school in Montreal, and I also just got a really good vibe when I went to the open house

What is your favourite part of Concordia? My favorite part about Concordia is how there are so many different opportunities to get involved, and (especially in my case for JMSB), so many amazing opportunities for networking and advancing my career!

Campus involvement? I’m currently in my first year, taking five classes. I am a writer for Her Campus Concordia and I recently joined JMMA (John Molson Marketing Association)’s The Embassy, where we work on real marketing projects for clients in Montreal. I have also participated in one JMUCC (John Molson Undergraduate Case Competition) Case Competition at a networking event.

Role at Her Campus: Writer

Why did you choose to join Her Campus? Because I have recently discovered myself to be a very strong and opinionated feminist, and what better way to start sharing this with the world that writing for a women’s lifestyle community? I also really wanted to improve my writing skills, as I’m a really creative person but usually more visually involved in practices such as photography and videography.

Hometown: Varennes, QC (South Shore of Montreal) I’ve lived in the same house there my whole life.

Favourite place on/near campus to hang out? Kafein, a cool café on Bishop’s street, JMSB 4th and 5th floors to study, JMSB study rooms, and the Concordia Greenhouse. As you can tell, I mainly only study at school.

Describe yourself in three words: Outgoing, hungry, hardworking

What is something about you that most people don’t know? I still sleep with 2 stuffed animals and I probably will for a very long time.

If you won 1 million dollars, what would you buy first? A pair of Louboutin heels (black patent pointy pumps), or a trip to southeast Asia.

What is your favourite place you have traveled to? AHH this is really hard, probably Orvieto, a small medieval town in Tuscany, Italy or Leipzig in Germany.

Where is somewhere you want to travel to? There is no chance I can only list one place. Currently, my most anticipated trip is one I plan to do when I complete my Bachelors: Thailand, Cambodia, Bali, Indonesia, Philippines and a stop in India to visit the Taj Mahal which I just heard will be closing for construction in 5 years!! Also, I’m hoping to visit Peru for a humanitarian trip, and on this trip hiking the Machu Picchu, a landmark I’ve been fascinated by since I first saw a picture of it.

What are you reading right now? Nothing, with 5 classes I’m lucky enough if I have time to do my course readings.

What is one mistake you’ve made in college/university and what did you learn from it? I accidentally relied on classmates for due dates, which resulted in me handing in an assignment late, oops. I now keep all due dates written in my agenda.

Where do you see yourself in five years? Hopefully working in an advertising agency as an account manager or something around there! I plan on finishing my bachelors in 3-4 years, travelling for a few months and then getting fully involved in my career!

What is one quote you’ve always held onto? “In the end, we only regret the chances we didn’t take” I know it’s corny but it’s the reason why I put so much on my plate: I say yes to any opportunity I’m interested in, and if it doesn’t work, that’s okay. But it’s better that I try than I watch others do something I could have done and which could have potentially changed my life.

What if your favourite food? Sushi! Tartare! Pasta! Gelato!

What is your favourite animal? Bunnies!

What is your favourite movie? Grease, Sabrina, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Forrest Gump, 10 things I hate about you, Mamma Mia!, Notting Hill. (Sorry, again it is impossible to choose!!)

What is a fun fact about you? I hate chocolate

Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.