Weekly Wellness Tip: Make a Self-Care To-Do List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

To-do lists are great. If you’re anything like me, writing out what you need to get done is a great way to stay on top of things. Plus, who doesn’t love the satisfaction of checking ‘em all off? Name a more satisfactory feeling. I’ll wait…

But while to-do lists can be a helpful means keeping your tasks in line, they can also become a source of stress. With midterms season upon us, I’m sure I’m not the only one who has been reduced to near tears over the sight of a very, very long list of tasks that must get done before the sun goes down. If that sounds familiar and you’re craving a break from the craziness, try re-purposing your to-dos into a self-care exercise. As you get ready for bed tonight, take a few minutes to make a list of three to five things you can do to make yourself feel better tomorrow. I talked someone through this exercise last week, and some of the ideas we came with were texting a friend for lunch, exploring a new study space, and going for a walk to decompress with some good music. Now that’s a list we can get behind, right?! Give it a try for yourself, and comment below with 1) your self-care to-dos and 2) how you felt after taking time to honor them. :)

A self-proclaimed dark chocolate hoarder living and learning in Manhattan. A book-lover at heart, Olivia can most often be found reading, doing yoga, or destressing on the swings in Riverside Park.