Pumpkin Pie Top Down Braided Crust
Pumpkin Pie Top Down Braided Crust
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

How to Spice Up Your Thanksgiving Staples (With One Ingredient!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

As we all know, the Thanksgiving meal is the best one of the year. There is something for everyone: creamy mashed potatoes, silky pumpkin pie, tart cranberry sauce. However, after years of enjoying the exact same recipes, it’s natural to crave a change. I’ve got you covered; one ingredient is all it takes to spice up these five Thanksgiving staples.

Sweet Potatoes: Vanilla Bean Paste

Never heard of vanilla bean paste? Here’s what you need to know: it’s horribly expensive, it texturally resembles molasses, and it tastes like it was crafted by God himself. Vanilla bean paste is vanilla extract’s sexier, suaver cousin. Created from extract, it contains flecks of vanilla bean which add a beautiful look to any dish, as well as loads of flavor. Pour some into pureed sweet potato to up the ante this Thanksgiving — and don’t forget the candied pecans. Leftover vanilla bean paste can also be used in homemade ice cream, custard, pastry cream, and anything you would like kissed with vanilla flavor. (Don’t worry: if vanilla bean paste is too bougie, vanilla extract will suffice.)

Cranberry Sauce: Orange Zest

It’s no secret that cranberry and orange are a match made in heaven. Spice up your homemade (or canned!) cranberry sauce with the zest and juice of an orange. My mom frequently uses this trick with canned cranberry sauce, and guests always assume it’s homemade. And when the sauce is homemade, it will convert any and every cranberry hater.

Apple Pie: Boiled Cider

If the vanilla bean paste was intimidating, buckle up. I was skeptical when I read boiled apple cider on the ingredient list for King Arthur Flour’s famous apple pie, but I figured 100+ five-star reviews couldn’t be wrong. (Spoiler alert: they were not.) Boiled apple cider is exactly what it sounds like: cider that has been boiled down to a sticky, concentrated, incredibly apple-y syrup. Hypothetically, one could boil their own cider, but for those lacking that type of wherewithal, King Arthur Flour sells their own bottles. Just ¼ cup of this stuff transforms a “meh” apple pie into the best one you’ve ever had. 

And for the love of God, use at least three different types of apple in your pie. You’ll thank me later.

Stuffing: Apples

Hopefully this is not common knowledge, because the addition of apples into stuffing (or, apparently, dressing?) has vastly improved my Thanksgiving experience, and I want the same for you. Use any leftover apples from your cider-enhanced pie in your stuffing! Apple cubes add moisture, tartness, and flavor to any stuffing recipe. I promised to only list one ingredient, but I will mention that walnuts pair nicely with the apple-stuffing combo.

Pumpkin Pie: Black Pepper

If I’ve held your interest this long, please bear with me for this last ingredient. It sounds crazy, but as with the cider, hundreds of people swear by it. (Yes, on King Arthur Flour, because I am a one-trick pony.) For the sake of honesty: I have not yet tried this trick. Last year, I made the pie as suggested (sans pepper), and it was fantastic. I loved the spice level as is, but perhaps this year will be the one in which I — quite literally — spice things up. If such spiciness occurs, I will update this article.

Many approach Thanksgiving with the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” mentality, though I respectfully disagree. Most — if not all — of the Thanksgiving classics can be significantly improved with the addition of one ingredient. So, get out there, innovate in the kitchen, and impress your family and friends!

Collier Curran

Columbia Barnard '20

Collier is a senior at Barnard College who enjoys brunch, playing with cats, and yelling at the TV during episodes of the Great British Baking Show. You can pry em dashes out of her cold, dead hands.