This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Around this time of year, as the weather starts to get cooler and the workload starts to build up, many students find themselves dealing with homesickness. Colgate’s isolated location can add another layer to this loneliness. For those who live farther away, hearing about people going home for fall or Thanksgiving break can be especially hard. 

Here are 8 tips for combating homesickness:

Make a homesickness playlist

This might sound counterintuitive, but I’ve often found that listening to songs that remind you of past memories helps embrace what you are feeling.

Call family or friends

This seems obvious, but I think it’s really important to utilize your connections from home as a support system at school. However, make sure that you are not solely relying on family and friends from home for emotional support. 

Share meals

Make an effort to get meals with friends. You could also strike up a conversation with someone from class and schedule a study session + meal. 

Join clubs

It is never too late to get more involved on campus. All clubs love having as much involvement as possible, so don’t be afraid to join the group messaging and/or show up to events. For example, the Pet Pals club gives members the chance to visit nearby animal shelters and volunteer. If you are missing pets from home, it can be really comforting to be around animals with the club.

Explore Hamilton

There are a surprising amount of opportunities nearby campus throughout the year. Take a trip to the brewery with friends, or take a stroll past Taylor Lake. Go to the Saturday Farmers’ Markets and explore the local vendors. Take time to get to know Hamilton better.

Decorate your room

To help make your dorm feel more homey, try adding some personality to it. Add pictures of your pets, family, friends, and your favorite places at home. Lighting also helps make the dorms feel more cozy. 

Take a drive

I’ve found that one of the best ways to feel more at home here is to realize that life exists beyond Hamilton, NY. Particularly in the fall, the rolling hills are gorgeous to drive through. If you have time, you could even drive to Syracuse to get food (like Chipotle!) or attend a concert. If you didn’t arrive on campus with a car, don’t be afraid to ask a friend or roommate to take a drive with you.

Go to class

Skipping class and isolating yourself is tempting, but it’s really important to keep up a routine and stay on top of school (yes, even your 8 am!). Even better, go to office hours. Get to know your professors; they are there to help you succeed, and want to get to know you. 

Most importantly, remember to validate your feelings. Most people feel homesick at least once during college, and many feel it often. You are not alone, and there are resources available to help.

Shaw Wellness Center is open for walk-ins 9am-5pm Monday through Friday. 

Hi! I'm Rachel, and I am a sophomore at Colgate. I am a Biology major with a Global Public & Environmental Health minor.